• Register Today It's free!

How to Re-Fill the Manual Trans?

73Elsinore

Reaction score
City, State
Central California
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 XLT 4x4
Dumb question. What method do you refill the Mazda manual trans? Do I have to use some kind of pump?

Same for the friggin rear diff. Whoever put the fill plug right next to the fuel tank oughta lose his bonus for the year... Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the way I'd do it is just take the shifter out and pour directly in, I don't know if thats the correct way to do it, the shifter is held in by 5 small hex bolts.

Thanks Glen, but that sounds like it might be a PITA. Pull back the carpet (not easy), remove shifter, etc. Gotta be an easier way?

No, its not hard at all, there should be 4 phillips screws holding your shifter boot in place, and once you take that off you'll see there is a a nice size hole in the carpet about the size of the bottom of your shifter boot. all you would need to do is pull the shifter out and put a funnel in the hole where the shifter was unless your good at not over pouring.

Thats the only way I know to do it that'd be easy.

There's a fill plug right above the drain plug on the driver side of the the Mazda trans. The proper fluid level is to the bottom lip of that fill plug hole.

Thanks Bill. But how do I get the fluid up to the fill hole? Pump it? Can't get a bottle and funnel up in there...

I got one of those suction guns from the auto parts store for something like 10-15 bucks.

Right on, thanks, guess I'll have to do that. I was trying to find some other way. I guess I could snake a loooong tube, off the end of a funnel, down in through the engine compartment and down to the fill hole. Thanks!

I use a long piece of clear hose. Push it over the tip of the funnel. Then have a friend stand beside your truck holding the funnel and ATF while you crawl underneath and push the other end of the hose into your tranny fill hole. Tell your friend to pour away and let gravity do its thing.

Thanks Tony. I have one of those but there's no room to get it in there. Story of my life :D

The funnel/hose method little x suggests is the easiest, though I'd suggest doing it from under the hood, with the hose going from the tranny fill hole to the funnel, which will stay in place nicely just above the steering column. Put the oil pan under the fill hole, and when it just starts to leak out, it's full. You can usually look at the clear hose and tell when no more is going in, too.

I was able to do My rear diff with it. Very spastic with teh gas tank in the way. The Manual Trani.... I have used it on other cars but my 'X' is the pitiful automatic.

I use a suction gun for almost everything - front and rear diffs, tranmsissions, t-case...

They work at any angle, even upside down. Well worth the $10 or $15.

grease-gun-501.jpg

Those guns are nice, I use one on the lawn mower grease fittings.

Do you have a grease tube you put in the gun for the lawnmower fittings?

This one is a little different. You stick the end of the tube in the container of oil or ATF and then pull out on the handle at the end of the gun to suck the fluid into the body. Then slide underneath the vehicle and put the tube in the transmission and push in on the handle to push the fluid back out. Clean and easy. :D

Back