How to: - How to: Remove 1991-1994 Dash with lots of pics | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: How to: Remove 1991-1994 Dash with lots of pics

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
Cool I am off to the hardware store now!

Man I am so happy this all it is, I can hear it moving the door closed when I pull on it!

Next thing will be recharging the AC

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

awesome write up, i was in the process of pulling my dash and could not find where 1 screw was, got on here and you showed me where it was, great job and thanks for saving me some time:salute:

Very nice thread. I just wanted to add that if you are having trouble disconnecting the speedo cable from the instrument cluster you can remove the two bolts holding the steering column and drop the column down, that should give you plenty of room to get your hand in there to disconnect the cable. I want to add that make sure you remove the gear indicator as described earlier in this thread. Again very nice thread with great pictures. Thanks for your hard work.

Thanks for posting the pictures, Dan; helped a lot when I recently replaced a broken heater control unit on my son's '91 Explorer. Looks like the function cable caused the problem. It's binding so bad you can barely move the slider from "Panel" to "Defrost." I doubt a new cable is available from the local Ford dealer. Anybody have any advice on how to find a replacement?

Thanks for any help...
John

Nice write up:thumbsup: probably an opportune time to dyna-mat

subscribed for later reference

Sure wish the photo links weren't broken!

Strange. This morning they're all working. Gremlins, I guess.

Gift that keeps on giving?!

I know this is an old post but I'm grateful for it!
Going to swap out the factory stereo from a '91 given to me by a friend.
Was looking for confirmation of my suspicions about getting the dash bezel out without snapping a bunch of plastic.
Took some digging around but your post won hands down for usefulness.
I read too much that said 'just stuff some coathanger in the holes and pull' when I could see that the bezel was in the way.
Appreciate all your work there!
Bobby

commenting on this to put it in my watched feed

Photobucket broke the internet.

I used this thread to pull my dash before paint months ago, now I am trying to reinstall it with fuzzy pics.

Any way to link to photobucket for the originals?

Photobucket broke the internet.

I used this thread to pull my dash before paint months ago, now I am trying to reinstall it with fuzzy pics.

Any way to link to photobucket for the originals?
The only way I know to do that nowadays is use Chrome browser and add one of the photobucket hotlink fixer add-ons. It allows you to see the actual image in the thread like you used to.

~Mark

I didn't know about the add-on. That is awesome. Thank you!

Now you need to remove the kick panels and column interior pieces. Mine where already missing so I don't have any Pics, but its pretty simple. The kick panel has one screw half way up the door and a clip on the inside by your feet. You will also have to remove the screw holding the bottom door sill piece in.
For the Column pieces you will have to remove the screw holding on the coat hanger peg. Then if you have a 93-94 just pull it off of the clips. If its a 91-92 there are 2 screws you have to take out.
After those are out of the way there are 2 bolts holding on the bottom of the Dash, one on each side near the door.
3663808443_8e539d0c3d_b.jpg

3663808367_a41d44a68a_b.jpg

Now you can remove the 4 bolts across the top of the dash, this is one of them.
3663808553_7133f6e6fc_b.jpg

Then there is one more above the steering column. Too tight to get a pic but in this pic you can see its threads coming out the other side.
View attachment 212542
When all of those are removed the dash should come off a little, but there are some wires holding it in place. Pop your hood, you need to disconnect the harness. To do this you need to use a 10 MM socket to loosen the bolt that I have circled in the picture. Keep on loosening it until you can remove the plug from the firewall. The arrow points to the Cruise control wires, you need to unplug them from the cruise control unit and push the rubber grommet through the firewall.
3664610292_da6d2c4be3_b.jpg

Now, once the plug is off there are three clips that you need to push in as you push the plug through the firewall. Once that is done you can pull the dash out a little more. But there are still wires you need to unplug.
3664386684_9c4bd1baec_b.jpg

I will now show you all of the wires you need to disconnect.
This one is on the top of the steering column. The arrow points to a clip that you need to pry outward to pull the plug up and off of the column. There is another clip just like it on the back of the plug.
View attachment 212543
This one is on the side of the master cylinder, so if yours is an automatic this plug will just be capped off and hanging. use a small screw driver to pry out the clips as you pull the plug off.
View attachment 212544
This plug is for the 4X4 push button. It is behind the dash in the middle of the 2 doors. Push on the clip and pull at the same time.
View attachment 212545
These plugs are for the speakers. The one with the arrow you need to pry up as you pull, the other plug has a clip on the back that you push as you pull.
View attachment 212546
These are the cables for the AC/Heater controls. Pull up on the cable so is snaps out of the silver clip then turn it and lift up on the end of the cable.
View attachment 212547
This is the antenna cable, simply pull it.
View attachment 212548
All of these are located near the passenger kick panel where the ECU is. Picture is self explanatory and arrows point to clips that need to be pried up as you pull. The vacuum hose (A) simply pulls off of (B).
View attachment 212549
This pic was taken after the dash was all the way out but these are two other plugs that need to be disconnected
View attachment 212550
Then where its too tight to take a pic there is a plug attached to the top of the brake pedal and one connected to the parking brake assembly.

Now you should be able to remove the dash entirely and take it out of the truck.
3664388462_26c5d15405_b.jpg

feel free to give your input and remind me of anything I forgot.

Also don't hesitate to ask any questions.

If you screw up your vehicle its your own darn fault
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, i just noticed in a few of your photos a hose im trying to ID. Its shown to be left and above the firewall electronics connector (just a smidge below the clutch reservior) with all the pins, as well as in the photo with the clutch pedal and clutch safety/4x4 switch circled in red (this is where in runs through the firewall, but then goes way up into the dash) and im just baffled a bit. Is it an old vacuum line for the original hubs (from what i can barely tell it runs off in the direction of the 4x4 switch), a condensate drain, or some other line for something i havent considered?

One of the 7 previous owners cut this hose on the engine side of the firewall, and im just looking to correct it and ID the appropriate system it belongs to to see if it being exposed to dust and dirt is gonna cost me more than just capping it off.

Another question i have invloves said 4x4 connections going to the clutch pedal, had no idea it was even associated with the 4x4 i thought it was just a safe start switch so you cant accidentally crank it in gear. So that makes me wonder if i missed some stuff trouble shooting. Mechanically the 4x4 system is sound, it just does nothing when i push the switch and all manners of trying to activaye it. Stopped in neutral clutch in, rolling <5mph in neutral clutch in, etc. It just dont make a whir, clunk, or nothing. Chilton and hanes manuals seem to not have great electrical schematics or any at all for the BW1354 ive got, despite having the teardown and assembly instructions. Found a good write up on some forum regarding rangers/BseriesMazdas/broncos/explorers but lost all my bookmarks and cant find it again unfortunately.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, i just noticed in a few of your photos a hose im trying to ID. Its shown to be left and above the firewall electronics connector (just a smidge below the clutch reservior) with all the pins, as well as in the photo with the clutch pedal and clutch safety/4x4 switch circled in red (this is where in runs through the firewall, but then goes way up into the dash) and im just baffled a bit. Is it an old vacuum line for the original hubs (from what i can barely tell it runs off in the direction of the 4x4 switch), a condensate drain, or some other line for something i havent considered?

One of the 7 previous owners cut this hose on the engine side of the firewall, and im just looking to correct it and ID the appropriate system it belongs to to see if it being exposed to dust and dirt is gonna cost me more than just capping it off.

Another question i have invloves said 4x4 connections going to the clutch pedal, had no idea it was even associated with the 4x4 i thought it was just a safe start switch so you cant accidentally crank it in gear. So that makes me wonder if i missed some stuff trouble shooting. Mechanically the 4x4 system is sound, it just does nothing when i push the switch and all manners of trying to activaye it. Stopped in neutral clutch in, rolling <5mph in neutral clutch in, etc. It just dont make a whir, clunk, or nothing. Chilton and hanes manuals seem to not have great electrical schematics or any at all for the BW1354 ive got, despite having the teardown and assembly instructions. Found a good write up on some forum regarding rangers/BseriesMazdas/broncos/explorers but lost all my bookmarks and cant find it again unfortunately.
Welcome to the forum! I’m not sure what hose you mean, but the hubs do not work off vacuum, so it’s not that.
Try this link to start diagnosing your 4wd problem. How to: - 4x4 Troubleshooting guide
There is a clutch defeat switch at the top of the clutch pedal arm, the system won’t work unless it’s compressed. See if it’s clipped onto the arm, or if it has been pulled off or bumped off.
Did the 4wd ever work? Is this a new to you truck?

Back