How to: - Remove and Replace your 2nd gen 1996 - 2001 Explorer V8 Radiator (with pics) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Remove and Replace your 2nd gen 1996 - 2001 Explorer V8 Radiator (with pics)

Prefix for threads which are instructional.

Joe Dirt

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
07 Camry
After doing a few of these now, I figured I'd snap some pics and do a writeup for the masses.

Here is our patient, 2000 XLT V8 AWD:

IMG_0121.jpg

First step- get your stuff. I ordered the Spectra-Premium radiator from Rock Auto, some Gates upper and lower radiator hoses and a new Motorcraft Rad cap.

SPECTRA PREMIUM RAD CU2308
GATES UPPER HOSE 22310
GATES LOWER HOSE 22452
MOTORCRAFT CAP RS76

On to the fun:

Remove the radiator belly guard. 10mm Bolts

P1000594.jpg

This is where mine was leaking, common- the seam between the aluminum radiator and the plastic tanks. It starts as a faint coolant smell once in a while, with no coolant showing up on the floor.

P1000596.jpg

This is where it goes, and why it doesn't show up on the ground...

P1000597.jpg

Loosen the petcock valve

P1000599.jpg

Drain the radiator

P1000601.jpg

While it's draining, let's go up top and pull some hoses.
Start with removing your airbox cover and stash it up top out of the way. No need to remove it from the throttle body.

P1000602.jpg

Grab some pliers and squeeze and remove the hose clamp on the upper hose.

P1000603.jpg

Do the same on the thermostat housing end. Twist the hose and remove from the vehicle.

P1000604.jpg

Remove the fan shroud. 10mm bolts also.

P1000606.jpg

Set it back on the fan blade, and for convenience, zip tie it back to something to keep it out of your work area. You do NOT need to remove your fan to change the radiator. So, unless you enjoy chasing around the right fan clutch removal tool, don't even mess with it.

P1000607.jpg

Remove the transmission cooler lines. 5/8" on the smaller one, I just used a crescent on the larger for stability.

P1000608.jpg

Removed.

P1000609.jpg

Slowing down, but still draining.

P1000610.jpg

Remove the clamp on the lower rad hose. Leave the other end attached to the engine.

P1000611.jpg

Loosen the radiator retaining bolts. Again, 10mm.

P1000612.jpg

Pop open the clips holding the overflow tank's hose.

P1000613.jpg

Now... The fun part- the infamous clips.

In all honesty, they're not bad- they really aren't. I think the job is way over-hyped. Anyhow, here is how you get the rad out.

Here is the fanny-pack clip. :)

P1000614.jpg

Process- squeeze the clip together, and use a screwdriver to pry it out while holding the clip. Pry until it comes loose.

P1000615.jpg

Remove the bolt holding the transmission cooler lines and actually their bracket to the radiator. 10mm.

P1000616.jpg

You'll then have this.

P1000617.jpg

Now, let's go back up top to the slide locks.

If you look at this pic, you can see them.

Clips.jpg

If you look down, you can now see the clips. The radiator has the female portion of the slide lock, the condenser has the male portion.

P1000618.jpg

Since the A/C condenser is loose as well as the radiator, you can now pull, push, and generally have fun getting the slide locks out. The condenser can be pulled as far to the passenger side as possible, and the rad slides to the Driver's side to remove. :)

P1000619.jpg

Success!

P1000621.jpg

Here are some more pics of the condenser slide locks.

P1000622.jpg

P1000623.jpg

And the fanny pack clip.

P1000626.jpg

That's all there is to removing your radiator.

Now, since you've just done all of this work, you might as well do some more PM while you're in there, so here are the parts you need to replace your tensioner, upper and lower pullies, and the drive belt.

P1000638.jpg

Reinstallation!

I started by putting the protective webbing on the new radiator hoses.

P1000775.jpg

Since I grabbed the new (to me) metal fan from the ('96-'98) V8 Explorer at the yard, I had to get the old junktastic plastic fan out of there.

Grab your Performance Tool wrench. I got mine at O'Reilly's.

P1000777.jpg

I wedged a small crowbar between 2 of the water pump pulley bolts, and cranked the wrench left. Popped loose easily.

P1000776.jpg

Screw that crap fan.

P1000778.jpg

If you only grab the blade, that's fine. You can swap the fanblade unit from one clutch to the other, they are interchangeable.

I was going to replace the water pump, but decided not to. It's doing fine, and I wasn't going to chance breaking a bolt as I'm going to be moving to a new house in the next week... Will need the truck and wouldn't have time to fix it.

Anyway, if you're going to, and need to get the water pump pulley off, remember that you can make a strap wrench from the old drive belt and some vice grips...

P1000779.jpg

I did replace the thermostat, and some heater hoses.

I used:

MOTORCRAFT THERMOSTAT RT1139 (195*F) same as stock
MOTORCRAFT THERMOSTAT GASKET RG605
MOTORCRAFT BYPASS HOSE KM1935

Out with the old thermostat

P1000781.jpg

P1000783.jpg

Off with the hoses

P1000784.jpg

The old thermostat

P1000788.jpg

Why the poopy plastic fan is going away...

P1000790.jpg

P1000791.jpg

Prepping the gasket, thermostat, and neck. I know it's a topic of discussion, but the factory service manual calls for RTV on the gasket. So, I did. Then reinstall, leave hoses off for now.

P1000793.jpg

Radiator set in place.

P1000794.jpg

Slide locks in.

P1000796.jpg

Line up your fanny pack clip.

P1000797.jpg

Slide in the fanny pack clip, and reattach your A/C condenser lines mounting bracket to the radiator.

P1000799.jpg

Lower hose on, reattach to the engine as well.

P1000800.jpg

P1000805.jpg

Reattach transmission cooler lines. USE TEFLON TAPE! Tighten them using a support wrench.

P1000801.jpg

P1000802.jpg

Something I decided to do after reading a warning sticker on the bottom of the rad- I flushed it before finishing.

P1000806.jpg

P1000807.jpg

While that drains, reattach the radiator to the header panel.

P1000804.jpg

Reattach the bypass and inlet coolant hoses to the water pump.

Place your fan shroud in the bay, then the fan blade/clutch. You will notice that at ~11:00pm last night I forgot the damn shroud. More later on that... :rolleyes:

Mount your fan if you removed it. Again- you do NOT have to remove the fan to change the radiator...

P1000808.jpg

Holding the fan clutch bolt with the PT wrench, push down on the left most bolt and you can spin the thing on, rather than cranking 30* with each wrench turn. Once snug, tighten the bolt best you can.

P1000809.jpg

Belt on? PITA with the fan on. I figured what the heck- I'll just remove it to put the belt on. No, still didn't notice the shroud yet.

P1000810.jpg

Tip for belt fitting- since it's impossible to get the damn thing to stay in place on the crank pulley and idler down there, grab a bungee, and hook the top of the belt to the hood. It will create some tension, and you can put the lower portion on without it falling off as soon as you climb out from underneath.

P1000812.jpg

Like this:

P1000813.jpg

Belt on.

P1000817.jpg

This is where it went south. I put the stupid fan in again, without the fan shroud. WTF Joe?

So I removed it again. Or tried. I had to have tweaked it so tight the last time I installed it, I could NOT get the damn thing back off. Finally, 2 HOURS LATER, the fan came off, I put in the shroud, put the fan back on, and reinstalled the shroud.

Reinstall the upper rad hose.

P1000604.jpg

P1000603.jpg

Snap your airbox cover back on, and you're done reinstalling.

P1000826.jpg

I dumped in a radiatorful of 50/50 Prestone, started, let warm up, turn off, let cool. Open cap, refill, started, let warm up, turn off, let cool, check level again... Did that 5 times before it stabilized.

Added some ATF to replace what was in the cooler, and checked for leaks. All good, no issues. G-Uniiit!

P1000823.jpg

After checking for leaks one more time, you can reinstall the bottom cover and you're good to go.

P1000594.jpg

Now. That f-ing fan. F that thing. 3 hours later, I looked like this:

P1000824.jpg

P1000825.jpg

That last MF'er is deep! That thing hurt every time I set it up on my desk at work today. Hey- at least I didn't cut myself open, right?

Screw that fan clutch!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Reinstall info added... :thumbsup:

Joe,

Dude, totally awesome pictures and discription. I started the project at 9:00am today and finished it up at 2:00pm (98 explorer 5.0). Could not have done it without your expert instruction. I included a new alternator and serpentine belt for good measure. I was about to spend $800 for the radiator alone at a service center, but found your write-up and pressed on with the project. Spent $306 for all the parts. If you get to K.C., I'll buy you a beer!

p.s. had to use my wife for the rad install, you know the stupid clips, took about 25 minutes -she got dirty, a real bonding moment.

Thanks again!

No prob! :thumbsup:

Glad they helped- I know the first time I did a Rad on a V8, i was sort of in the dark about it, since the text-only write-ups made it seem like it would be slightly more difficult than building a house. Figured pics would help, and it's really not that bad. Well, aside from the deep tissue bruising. :D

Joe, you may have forgot the shroud, but you write a fine article. Nice work.

gold star for you joe! great write up. smart move on the water pump thing. i take it you saw what happened to me then. next year I WILL buy you a beer and steak!

Joe,

Dude, totally awesome pictures and discription. I started the project at 9:00am today and finished it up at 2:00pm (98 explorer 5.0). Could not have done it without your expert instruction. I included a new alternator and serpentine belt for good measure. I was about to spend $800 for the radiator alone at a service center, but found your write-up and pressed on with the project. Spent $306 for all the parts. If you get to K.C., I'll buy you a beer!

p.s. had to use my wife for the rad install, you know the stupid clips, took about 25 minutes -she got dirty, a real bonding moment.

Thanks again!

u should take him to Bryant's for some good KC BBQ with all that savings!....lol

Great writeup Joe!

so to go along these lines, since I'm replacing my radiator this weekend

since my truck never had a coolant flush the ~110k miles I've owned it, I put in some Prestone Super Radiator Cleaner.
The 5.0 holds 13.5 quarts of coolant, which is ~3.375 gallons. The radiator holds less than 2 gallons. How would I get the rest of the coolant out?
I know about the Prestone Flush-n-Fill kit, but it would leave tap water in the engine block also.
Any way to fully drain? Or is that not a good idea?

Right on...

Thanks! :thumbsup:

A real life saver!

Joe,
Thank you for the great post! I just changed the rad in my 2000 XLT 5.0 AWD this weekend. It took me a while - about 8 hours in all, but I got it done and everything seems to be working perfectly, with the exception of my Cam Position Sensor/Synchro - just ordered a new Cardon re-man and tool tonight - should be here just in time for another cuss-fest next Saturday! Between that and a new hood latch cable, Saturday should be loads of fun.

One thing you left out - if you were like me, most of the forearm damage came while trying to undo the lower transmission cooling line. That thing is a bear to get to unless you have spaghetti arms! Also, I needed a couple of extra hands to get the slide locks to join up on the reinstall. Be careful taking the rad out if you plan to put the same one back in - I ripped the lower slide lock right off of the old rad on the way out!

Thanks again - especially for the tips and tricks along the way. In addition to using the bungee to hold the belt up, I also used them to hold the shroud up out of the way in a couple of spots - great tip!! :chug:

Scott

:thumbsup:

Life is easier with pictures... :)

Just started this job and got to the part where you wrestle the clips between the condenser and radiator and decided to check this forum for pointers. Thanks for the great write up Mr. Dirt.

You're welcome... :)

How different are these steps with a '98 4.0 SOHC?

Edit: it seems to be pretty much the same. I went ahead and started to tackle it but the stupid top transmission line connection won't budge. I've almost stripped it with the 5/8 inch wrench. The wrench fit tightly too with little to no play, and I had sprayed liquid wrench on the connection about 12hrs prior.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do Not Replace That Radiator So Fast

Joe your write-up is great and the pictures are very helpful. After being in the radiator repair and service business for many years I need to give you some knowlege about plasitic tank Ford radiators.

The number one issue with them is small drips from the gasket between the aluminum header and the plastic tank usually during times of fluctuating ambiant temperatures This is not a valid reason to replace a radiator. The header has tabs that are bent over the lip on the tanks clamping down on the gasket. Fords radiator supplier (Valeo) does not crimp these tight enough to prevent this type of leak.

You will need to remove the radiator from the truck to do a repair. Using a pair of Vise Gripe pliers set the jaw opening to about 3/8" to 1/4" and go over each tab all the way around the tank and apply slightly more crimp. Causation do not over clamp on the header as it can be bent or the lip on the tank can be cracked. This repair can add tousands of miles to the life of a radiator. While you are at it you should go around the header on the other end also.

When these vehicles were new I was doing warranty repairs for Ford dealers every day, they even had new cars and trucks setting on their lots that dripped.

Back