• Register Today It's free!

how to remove ball joints

summit_69

Reaction score
City, State
canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 xlt 4x4
i have a 1993 ford explorer XLT. 4x4, and i have had a grinding noise, it sounds like its coming from beside the fron drivers side tire. so i have come to the conclusion that its the ball joint, and i am woundering how to take the ball joint apart? any suggestions would be helpful.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i don't think a balljiont would grind... sounds more like a bearing or hub. look into that first, a balljiont is pretty in depth.

also, try searching.

welcome to the board

I know but its sitting in the garage tire and everthings off, and its ####ed so im going to change it any way. and nothing else seems to be damaged that bad

searched already

...It does sound like a wheel bearing but, if you click the "How To" in my signature you will find ball joint info...Good luck..:D

I have another question, im trying to get the spring off. its beside the shock, drivers side. i took out the nut and the retaining washer or whatever it is then i put another jack under the frame, and lowerd the one sitting under the axel, so it got rid of the presure on the spring, and it still wont budge what am i doing wrong?

Depending on the length of your spring, you "might" have to loosen (not remove) the radius arm bushing nut. This will allow your suspension to travel more. Also, the Spring has to rotate (spin) to come out.

Also, if you still have your sway bar attached, disconnect it.

On our X I have to actually stand on the suspension to get it to droop far enough to pull the spring but I'm not running stock length springs.

~Mark

another question, the spring dosnt want to come off, but does even need to come off to get at the ball joints? and how do i get the axle to slide out on the drivers side?

It will be 1,000,000 times easier to replace the ball joints without the spring. Remove the shock, disconnect the sway bar, and stand on the axle to force it down while working the spring out with a pry bar (you may be able to work it out without the bar). Read the thread I pointed you towards. It goes over how to remove the driver's side axle too.

Back