How to remove center console in 98 sport? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to remove center console in 98 sport?

Magicfan25

Reaction score
City, State
Central FL and WPB Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Sport SOHC
I wanna mount the new EQ I got in my center console, but dont know how to take it out to run the wires under it. I know the cupholder/change holder piece up front pops off and theres screws under there, but dont know how to unsecure the back. TIA

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I HAVE THE SAME QUESTION FOR MY 99. I TOOK ALL THE BOLTS OUT AND STILL COULDNT GET THE CENTER CONSOLE OUT. THE BACK WAS LIKE IT WAS STUCK OR SOMETHING. I GOT SO FRUSTRATED THAT I JUST PUT IT ALL BACK TOGETHER. IF ANYONE COULD HELP US PLEASE DO. THANKS

Do you guys have the full console that goes all the way to the dash or the shorty that stops at the cup holders?

If you have the full one: Take the front pocket out and you'll see there are 2 bolts holding it to the dash. Give the console a good yank back towards the tailgate to pop it out of the rear bracket assy.

If you have the shorty: Take the cup holder out and remove the 2 long phillips screws. Lean both front seats back or forward and take the oval shaped plugs out of sides of the rear of the console. Take the 4 bolts out and then pull the arm rest straight up to remove it. There should be one phillips screw left on top of where the arm rest was. Take it out and the console should lift out now.

I'll try to dig out some pictures tomorrow.

Harry

Originally posted by Harry5150

If you have the full one: Take the front pocket out and you'll see there are 2 bolts holding it to the dash. Give the console a good yank back toards the tailgate to pop it out of the rear bracket assy.

yeah, this is what worked for me when i took mine out a while ago.

I'll have to give that a try, thanks man

ACTUALLY MINE IS A 99 XLT, NOT A SPORT. WOULD THIS MAKE ANY DIFFERENCE IN THE WAY IT IS REMOVED?

i have a 2001 explorer sport and am having the same problem with taking out the center console

Back