How to remove front drive shaft to replace u joint | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to remove front drive shaft to replace u joint

Jahns44

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 ford explorer
Hi I have a 1999 ford explorer and I need to replace u joint on front drive shaft I was just wondering how to get the drive shaft out to replace u joint. Also does the drive shaft have to go back in the exact way it came out

Thank you

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There are six 8mm head bolts at the transfer case end, and four T35 torx screws at the other end. Make some marks to put it back in the same place.

^ DrDoom is correct. It's a pretty easy process.

T30 torx, not T35. These bolts are held in with strong threadlocker (if they have never been removed). You will probably need to heat them with a torch to release the thread locker, and then they will turn out easily. Without doing that, you run a strong chance of stripping the torx heads.

If it doesn't come apart at the transfer case, just knock the side of the joint with a mallet and it should come loose.

Thanks for answering so quickly I have all the bolts out but I cannot get the transfer case side off I've hit it with a mallet many times now. Does it just pull out of there

Yes, it just pulls out. The shaft side is convex, the TC side is concave. They are known to get pretty stuck. Keep at it with the mallet. Eventually it will come loose. You might need to pop the front end out of the yoke so that it has some room to move but support it so the CV end doesn't flex too far or come apart. It wouldn't hurt to run some PB, Kroil or acetone/ATF down in there.

OK I'm still having a hard time getting it off. So will that driveshaft turn if the truck is not in 4 wheel drive or does it only rotate while in 4th. Thank you

You need to PUSH the front part of the shaft (the end with the universal joint) back towards the rear of the truck. I had to hammer it slightly sideways to break loose (after use of penetrating spray) and then pry it with a big screwdriver...
The back part (CV joint) will collapse 1" and allow the shorted shaft to come off.

Don't beat it sideways with a hammer, is not working that way.

Back