• Register Today It's free!

how to remove fuel filter

rayden

Reaction score
City, State
lexington,ky
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 v8 awd xlt
i am trying to change my fuel filter on 97 explorer v8. i located the motorcraft filter along the frame rails and i removed the metal locks and cant get the fuel lines to come off. is there a trick to getting them off or is it because i have pressure in the line or something. tell me how to do this if u know how. i dont think it should be that hard.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You need the "fuel line removal" tool set from a local auto parts store. The cheapo plastic set will work, so that is all you need.

Yeah the plastic tools work so much better. Also, when you have the tool inserted, pushed the line TOWARDS the filter, which unlocks it, then pull it out.

ok thx. how does the tool work though

The tool is just a plastic gizmo that you put on the line. Just a round disc. You shove that disc into the fitting, and it "unlocks" the fitting. From there, the line will simply pull out.

This is the "technical" way of how it goes. In reality, you shove that ******* in, it does nothing, you curse, it does nothing even more, you curse even more, bla bla bla, but it eventually comes loose. :D

the plastic tool is less than $5 and works... the metal ones work better but cost more $

thx guys i got it off with the 5 dollar metal tool. and now i see why they are called quick connect. they connect fast, but disconnect is a *****. and i couldnt beleive the acceleration difference after i changed it. i never have and i would say who ever had it before me didnt, being it was still a motorcraft fuel filter. hope i can see some improvement at the pump with this and wires and plugs im doing. it has 160,000 miles on the original plugs and wires. due for a change i say. but i have to say that is a testiment to ford for them lasting that long.

Back