How to remove glove box? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to remove glove box?

offspring22

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer XLT
So I was changing the cabin air filter on my wifes 2016 Explorer, and it didn't go as well as I had hoped.... Not sure if I tried to push the box down to far or what, but heard a pop sound and now it won't close properly. Looking under there appears to be part of the box with an eyelet that I think is supposed to go around a white tube and act as a hinge? Picture below. So I think I can glue the eyelet just fine, but need to get the box out to do it, and to figure out how to get the tube back around it. Any tips on how to remove the box?

Thanks.

ck2rr21.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hope this helps. You need to pull those white taps out. This is how I did my 13 explorer.

And if you break the tabs on the cabin air filter box the part number is

AE9Z-19B735-A

Don't ask me how I know this..

The same exact thing happened to me on my 2017 XLT. I pulled the white pins after the fact then I epoxied the crack with JB Weld.
Did it seem to you that it broke way to easily? After undoing the retracting cable I just pulled down a bit with little pressure to try to get my hand in there and it popped just like you said. I kept wondering if it actually was split from the factory on purpose for some reason. Can anyone who took one out properly by pulling the white pins first confirm that?

So, it's time to replace my cabin filter and I'm having trouble on the left side white pin. It seems that there is a metal lip that is part of the knee airbag (I think) that's kinda holding the pin in place. Has anyone experienced that? A solution might be to rotate the white pin slightly to clear the metal lip? I don't want to break the pin.

So, it's time to replace my cabin filter and I'm having trouble on the left side white pin. It seems that there is a metal lip that is part of the knee airbag (I think) that's kinda holding the pin in place. Has anyone experienced that? A solution might be to rotate the white pin slightly to clear the metal lip? I don't want to break the pin.

Watch the video linked above. You will have to turn the white pins then pull them to the center of the box. It is a pain but it is what it is.

Mike

Can anyone else comment as to whether the right side eyelet is split from the factory or not?

Back