How to remove/replace radiator drain plug | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to remove/replace radiator drain plug

bigjoncoop

Reaction score
City, State
Melbourne
Year, Model & Trim Level
07 Explorer XLT V6, Ironm
MODEL: 2007 FORD EXPLORER XLT V6 4.0

ISSUE: LEAKING RADIATOR DRAIN PLUG

Hey guys,

Is the radiator drain plug removable / replaceable on my particular vehicle? After doing a coolant flush, now the drain plug is leaking... (PHOTO BELOW)

It's one of those black plastic ones that only turns 1 or 2 revolutions, and drains out of a hole right below it and not out of the face of it.

After looking online it appears that the plug cannot be replaced, is this true?

I looked at multiple radiator / cooling system diagrams for my particular vehicle and the drain plug is not shown or listed on them...

I've also searched on all the auto part sellers websites and non of them show any drain plugs or drain **** for my specific vehicle.

Any ideas or solutions that make it stop leaking, besides smearing all over it?

IMG_20230515_181103__01.jpg

Try to replace the plug seal.
Should be regular viton or nbr oring

My guess is that there is a little piece of debris in the seal area. I would try to loosen it a second or two to let the water flow out hopefully bringing the crude with it. Of course that might not work but is worth a shot. I don't think the plug comes all of the way out but I could be wrong. If it doesn't and if it is leaking out of the hole, you could find the right size short bolt with a little sealer around it to screw in there.

After plug comes out of the thread,push gently the plug locking tabs to get it out of the radiator drain hole.

Back