How to remove rock chips in windshield? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to remove rock chips in windshield?

I have about 3 rock chips on my windshield, and I want to know if there's any low cost solution on how to get rid of these. I want to do something about them how so they don't spread, then I'll have to buy a new windshield. Below is a bad pic of one of the cracks.

Attachments

• cracks.jpg
    cracks.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 688

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

First, check your insurance policy if you have the comprehensive coverage. If you do, the replacement will be free.

If not, go to an auto parts store and get a windshield repair kit. They should work. If not, take it to a windshield repair shop and they should fix it for ya. It should cost around $50 or so. Good luck!!!

I saw those repair kits at Autozone the other day, but I wasn't sure if they'd really work or not, so I held off. I'll try that first. Thanks.

If ALL else fails, and you dont care to spend big $$, or the look of the windshield, then take a knife and scratch a circle around the crack on the outside. It will stop it from spreading.

My dad did this on his 78 Courier 20 years ago, and the crack still hasn't spread outside of the circle till this day.

The auto glass folk can repair it for ( I assume ) reltivly cheap.

If the repair kit doesn't work, I'll call the glass company. Problem is, there's 3 of em, and I don't want to spend more than $50. I can live with them for a while.

3M makes a syringe full of epoxy that sells for $15 and this syringe suctions itself onto the chip or small crack and then through pressure it slowy forces the glue into the cracks and removes the chip/crack. each syringe can do 2-3 small chips or one lage bulls-eye chip.

Like '96explorereddiebauer said, check your insurance policy. Your deductible for the windsheild is probably $50. Here in FL, it is state law it has to be replaced/repaired at no cost to the consumer. There are glass companies here that will give you $20 if you let them repair your windshield, because they make their money from the insurance companies. Another reason that our insurance rates are higher here.

If you do decide to do it yourself, be careful, there are laws about the repair being in the line of sight. If it is in the line of sight you must replace the windshield.

Back