How to remove rust stains from your rear window | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to remove rust stains from your rear window

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Joe, awesome video! That stuff works great. Wink Rust Stain Remover, right? Did you pick it up at the auto parts store. I don't think I've ever seen it around here. :salute:

I got it from Menards, but HD and Lowes should have it too. It's also used for sinks and pipes and stuff. CLR or like products may work too, but this is the fastest and best I've found. Literally 10 seconds. :thumbsup:

The brand is "Whink"

CLICK ME

Thanks Joe. I found it on the web. Google corrected my spelling for me. They list Ace Hardware so I'll look into it. They also appear to have a 6 oz bottle. Thanks again and keep up the good work! :salute:

thanks joe i was woundering how to get rid of it. mine are bad but i have clr so im gonna give it a try if it doesnt work then ill get the whink product

Chrome polish will do the exact same thing if you have any lying around.

Does anyone know where you can find these "buttons" so I can just replace mine and skip the rust problems in the future? I took if off and tried sanding down the but plastic grommet or whatever it is that sits between the window and the metal cracked on me. I just called the stealership and they said they were $71 a piece! This was not including the strut. I sure hope that price was wrong for such a small thing of metal. Anyways, where else can I find them?

Thanks.

great vid joe. i to haven't seen that stuff before. i also wounder if you can use it on carpet or not (like around the seat brackets) to remove rust stains.

well i tired the clr and i think it smeared more then it did good so it isnt a good shoice. still havent found the product joe used around here. do want to find it to get rid of the rust stains. it looks ugly to me

Just use some outdoor Rust-Aid. It's in a red bottle, and I'm pretty sure it's available at your local Walmart. It takes it right off, with no effort. Dab some on a rag, and scrub with moderate pressure for a few seconds and they disappear.

To prevent mine from doing it again, I sanded them down with a power-sander, taped off the surrounding areas, then primed and painted. I used Rustoleum paint and primer, and the streaks have yet to return.

ok ill have to look at wally world. the closest one to me is about 30 mins away. i live in a town of about 200o people. we have one stop light.. but i will look at wally world and auto zone ect. thanks

JOE! You are the man. I have those damn streaks, and didn't even know what they WERE, let alone how to get them off. I'll be giving this a shot soon. Thanks for the vid. And nice choice of background music :D

I aim to please! :D

Today's video soundtrack-
...in live spots! (You don't want to see my skykick) :D

Thanks for the post Joe, I used that rust remover on carpet but never gave it a thought as to trying it on the rear glass, now I can get my rear window looking better and try painting that button the best possible.

Great post Joe! Paraphoe linked me to this thread and your video makes it look dirt easy ;) Now to find me some whink...

I just did the window on my new Ex tonight... Still works, still awesome... :D

I used Turtle Wax chrome polish and it worked great! At 222K miles AND having lived in SD/MN for all that time, there was A LOT of oxidation all over the window!

Ive tried so many things to clean these damn streaks on all 4 of my Expo's and never thought to search to see if theres something that would wipe it off!

Damnit Joe, THANK YOU!

Back