How To remove spark Plug #3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How To remove spark Plug #3

Reaction score
City, State
Hanover Park IL (Near Chicago)
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 EB 4x4 00 XLS 4x4
i got a 1992 ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4x4 with a 4.0L V6 i am removing spark # 3 is hard beacuase the blower motor and caseing is to bulky to a socket on :yelexp:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Try getting to it thru the wheel well, and use a swivel on your socket.

Took the passanger tire off & went through the wheel well lining. Got it fairly easy that way.

do i take the front tire off

ostfow said:
Try getting to it thru the wheel well, and use a swivel on your socket.
:exporange doi take the front tire off with out removing the lock out :exporange

did the lock out stay on the front axle

Jason94sport said:
Took the passanger tire off & went through the wheel well lining. Got it fairly easy that way.
the the lock out stay on the axle

Lockout??????? Do you mean the locking hub? That stays on or comes off doesn't matter.

Thanks

:exporange
Jason94sport said:
Lockout??????? Do you mean the locking hub? That stays on or comes off doesn't matter.
yes locking hub thanks i am 18 and got my first explorer

I got mine off by just putting the socket on first, then putting the ratchet on, worked great. Install was the same.

i don't even take out the wheel. i just turn the wheel so its out of the way.

That could work too. I have big hands, & fat fingers, so it was just easier for me to take the wheel off.

I do what was said above, remove wheel, and then I put a swivel plug socket on the plug thru the wheel well...and then fish the extension down thru the engine bay with my right arm while holding the swivel socket with my left arm.

You have to have long arms, I can barely do it, but it works great.

What a POS design, and biuld. If I wasn't buying this for my sis inlaw, I would never own one. No wonder toyota rules.

You may think that way if you wish.. Just remember, each manufacurer does their own stupid things.. For Example.. Pulling plug 1 (drivers front) from a toyota pickup (v6) is hard to do.. It was behind the a/c bracket... There were many other little issues we ran into (none of us have small hands) when trying to pull the intake of the toyota.. We were cursing toyota all day..

Once you know the "trick" pulling plug #3 isn't so bad.. (I do mine through the wheel well and it is a no brainer for me now.. I'm sure the toyota is the same way, but since it isn't my vehicle I don't care to learn all the tricks..

~Mark

I had a 1994 XL and I did a set of plugs twice in my time owning it... I just turned the wheels all the way to the left, and with a little snaking of my arm I got that plug out and in, without a swivel! Just a 3" extension on a 3/8" ratchet. You want spark plugs that are fun just do them on a pontiac grand am... the back three are underneath!

The Explorer is pretty easy to do plugs on, come on!! Try changing plugs on a 90-95 Nissan 300ZX! Talk about no underhood space!

haven't done those, but have seen them... amen to that.... the explorer is pretty easy by others that I have done.. My mustang is even easier! On the 4.6 SOHC they are all on top...

peace all

George

floydfly said:
What a POS design, and biuld. If I wasn't buying this for my sis inlaw, I would never own one. No wonder toyota rules.

Ever change a fuel filter on a Toyota? :p

I made mine really easy to get to!
IMGP1131-vi.jpg

I took a sawzall to the inner fender and removed a chunk of it allowing easier access to the #3 plug as well as the O2 sensor!

I can get to mine (1992) from above. I put a U-joint on the socket and used a long extension bar. What often happens to me, though, is that I drop the sparkplug and it gets lodged in a little crevice between the body and frame. Really hard to find and get out.

Bob

Back