How to remove the cover on steering column | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to remove the cover on steering column

TxPlates

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Marble Falls, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 "Rock Trac"
I need to take the plastic covers off my steering column on my 02 ST. I've gotten the bottom off with the screws, but I don't see how to remove the top.

There is a gray connector on the drivers side of the column that apparently is bad, I've read about others with the issue. It's causing my rear brake and blinker lights to not work, unless my steering wheel is in the upper position.

Any one taken it off before? Any pictures?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Remind me about this on Sat. morning. I've been wanting to switch positions on my two gauges on the Limited for a long time now.

I need to take the plastic covers off my steering column on my 02 ST. I've gotten the bottom off with the screws, but I don't see how to remove the top.

There is a gray connector on the drivers side of the column that apparently is bad, I've read about others with the issue. It's causing my rear brake and blinker lights to not work, unless my steering wheel is in the upper position.

Any one taken it off before? Any pictures?
How many screws did you take off? I think there is three screws holding it on. :thumbsup:

TxPlates said:
What are you switching?

Um sir, you are going off topic from the OP post. Please respect the OP and his topic.

it was the "OP" going off topic,

the 2 halves should be clipped together also.

Back