how to remove the stereo ?

sorin

Reaction score
City, State
Braila
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 XLT
Hi !
I'm trying to remove the stereo , to convert it into an mp3 player . Don't , want to change it , because i want to keep the original dash look .
Problem is that i can't get it out . It's stuck . I tried with two really strong steel wires , bended into a u-shape , didn't budge . Needless to say that i have no way to buy a ford radio removal tool .
Does anyone have any sugestions , or maybe some pics or diagrams of the interior of the radio housing . If i would know how things are in there i might be able to get it out .

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Radio removal

While I haven't bothered to purchase real removal tools (shouldn't need them for a once or twice use)! I use a couple of nails to compress the retainers but even still the radio is hard to pull out. Best to remove the two screws just above the A/C heater controls then pop the bezel that contains the radio (carefully pull the bottom edge of the bezel and the whole unit pops out). This will allow you to view the radio retainer clips so you can use your "U" wires, nails or whatever to compress the retainers and also push the radio out from behind.

Thank you for your answer .
It turns out , that one can use two wires bended into a u-shape. The trick is to use a hard wire ( i used a couple of welding electrodes) and pull the wires outward , towards the doors of the car , and in the same time pull forward .

Radio removal

Yep I totally agree. Insert the "U" shaped wires or whatever, push them towards the doors and pull on the radio...perhaps with your fingers in the cassette slot...but it didn't work for me so had to use the approach I outlined. My Ranger radio comes out fairly easy using the standard method bt the Explorer fit was just to tight. Once I was able to get behind the radio it popped out (while using the removal tool or whatever). My problem now is blowing the #10 fuse which feeds a bunch of stuff fro A/C, turn signals, stop lights, radio, cruise control, overhead console and MORE.

I've posted some docs online that you may find useful in troubleshooting, hope they help
1995-2001 explorer

The removal tools are about 2$ at murrays...or autozone...
Nice tool to have; I have a few sets, everytime I order from CrutchField i get a set lol

Electrical troubleshooting

lots of good info! Daughters radio volume is back to normal. Removed the volume control module, found nothing that looked like it needed soldering, put it all back together and all's well? Will probably still have the #10 7.5 amp fuse problem though. Have disconnected the plenum module behing the glove box and see if the fuse holds. Had read the IP has to be pulled to replace the unit if it's bad but read some more and I guess that's not the case as it can be pried up in the front and lifted out. Doubt if that's a problem and might check the brake pressure switch next. Sequence seems to be A/C shuts down then the turn signals and stop light quit and the fuse is blown.

Back