How to remove the transmission with a 4wd setup | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to remove the transmission with a 4wd setup

Reaction score
City, State
Hanover Park IL (Near Chicago)
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 EB 4x4 00 XLS 4x4
:exporange i just got a new AL4D trans off a 95 Aerostar No Milles on the trans for free i look in books and internet only tells and shows you the RWD setup Not 4WD i need the steps for remove for 4WD setup :exporange

Are you looking for how to pull the transfer case off the transmission, or how to remove the transmission itself?

If your trying to pull a transmission out of a 4wd explorer, its the same as a 2wd EXCEPT you have 2 drive shafts to pull, not just one.

If its an electronic shift, you also have to pull plug with the wires off the transfercase.

There is also a breather hose that need to be disconnected (front/near top of the xfer case)..

Thats all the special things I can think of... Otherwise, its just like pulling the 2wd version of the trans down..

Now getting that 2wd transmission converted to a 4x4 (different output shaft I think) is more work and if I remember correctly, requires a teardown of the trans since the input shaft is the first thing installed when building the a4ld.

~Mark

Back