How to Replace 2011 Explorer Drivers Tail Light Assembly | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to Replace 2011 Explorer Drivers Tail Light Assembly

gazellephant

Reaction score
City, State
Kansas City
Year, Model & Trim Level
11 XLT
Someone backed into my driver's side tail light assembly and cracked it. The dealership wanted $500 for the part alone so I bought one online for half that. The problem is that the original part has a wire harness that is INSIDE the rear quarter panel. The replacement part looks great but i cannot figure out, for the life of me, how to get access to the harness. Hours of internet research has proved fruitless so here I am; hope someone can help!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had this same problem. Just took it to my local gas station and they did it in a hour or two for $100.

Panels from the inside have to be removed to access it.

Just replaced the right rear tail light assembly on Wife's 2013 XLT. I left the old harness in and just reused old bulbs. Worked great that way. I do think there is some difference in the way the bulbs are inserted in different model years, so that may not be possible. Wife's bulb sockets twisted and pulled straight out. New assembly worked same way. Good luck.

crrobbins

Pictures would help us if the new housing you purchased differs from the factory housing.

Otherwise, the bulbs should twist counter-clockwise 45 degrees and come right out.

I think some/all of 2011 did not have LED. The bulb sockets inserted differently. May be different than bulbs in later years.

crrobbins

Back