How to replace light bulbs for the map light? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to replace light bulbs for the map light?

Winboy

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Ford Explorer XLT
Hello all,

Just joined this site after searching and searching for an answer to my question. I even checked utube but didn't find any. I want to replace the lights with LED bulbs in the front map light. I tried to remove the whole section but it was too tight and did not want to break anything.

Thanks.

Peter
2016 Explorer XLT.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The whole clear plastic piece does pop off. Start from the edges with a plastic removal tool or a very small flat head screwdriver. You can even wrap the screwdriver head with a napkin to prevent scratching. It does come off though. Just work your way around popping each tab out.

Thank you! I was going to remove the whole section but did not try the clear plastic piece.

Hello all,

Just joined this site after searching and searching for an answer to my question. I even checked utube but didn't find any. I want to replace the lights with LED bulbs in the front map light. I tried to remove the whole section but it was too tight and did not want to break anything.

Thanks.

Peter
2016 Explorer XLT.
Welcome to the Forum Peter.:wave:
Should you wish to go further with LED replacement, check out the following thread. BTW, the first post also tells you how to remove the map light. I found this thread using the Forum's handy 'Search' feature in the upper right; How to: Explorer LED Interior swap + Puddle Lamps DIY

Peter

Thanks Peter! I did see that post but it is for a 2011 Explorer so I thought my 2016 would be different.

Thanks Peter! I did see that post but it is for a 2011 Explorer so I thought my 2016 would be different.

I replaced in my 17(which should be the same as the 16), the map lights, passenger row lights, puddle lights, and license plate all to LED. All very easy.

I replaced in my 17(which should be the same as the 16), the map lights, passenger row lights, puddle lights, and license plate all to LED. All very easy.

after you made these replacements..........did everything fit properly & snug with no rattles

rattles drive me batty

what bulbs did you use for the map lights?

Good point. I forgot about that.

after you made these replacements..........did everything fit properly & snug with no rattles

rattles drive me batty

what bulbs did you use for the map lights?

No rattles at all. Those are the lights. I choose those mainly because they were short and I didn't want to have any issues with pieces not closing properly. Not the brightest but they get the job done and they all fit and they dim properly as well.

Cutequeen 10PCS LED Car Lights Bulb White T10 2835 4-SMD 80 Lumens 194 168 (pack of 10) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EPA7CZC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_m9cgBbSTS1GKR

I was able to switch to LED for the map lights and looks great. Next week would be the 2nd row, 3rd row, license plate and then the puddle lights, too much stress for today LOL. I will be back if I have any trouble changing out the light bulbs.

Peter

I was able to switch to LED for the map lights and looks great. Next week would be the 2nd row, 3rd row, license plate and then the puddle lights, too much stress for today LOL. I will be back if I have any trouble changing out the light bulbs.

Peter

The third row can't be changed. Easily that is since it is built into the circuit.

Looks like the 2018 has yellowish LEDs for 2nd and 3rd rows. Does anyone know the color temp for them?

Looks like the 2018 has yellowish LEDs for 2nd and 3rd rows. Does anyone know the color temp for them?
The only interior bulbs that are shown as being LED are the rear dome lamp and the luggage compartment lamp. I'm not sure if the rear dome lamp is the same as the 2nd row lamp or is it the cargo lamp with the luggage compartment lamp being the one down by the 3rd row switches.:dunno:

Peter

Did you buy any specific brand of LED bulb? Have they held up since then?

I swapped all of my (replaceable) interior bulbs with 2700K LED's and they are a match for the built in LED's in the rest of the cabin. I prefer the warm white in the interior because it's more like home lighting and isn't as harsh when I turn them on at night. I used Sylvania LED's because I've had multiple failures with many of the import/no-name brand bulbs on Amazon.

Im using Everbright T10 194s they are blue LEDs and match the ambient lighting
Do you have any pictures showing what that looks like? That sounds really interesting

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

^ Hopefully you checked your local laws, in many states they greatly limit the colors that (on-road) civilian vehicle front/fog lights can be, mainly white or amber/yellow.

See RSA 266:78-a through 78-m

Back