How To: Replace Multifunction Switch | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How To: Replace Multifunction Switch

BigRondo

USMC 1371
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Charlestown, RI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Escape SE
I replaced my Multifunction recently and searched the forum for instructions but didn't find any. Maybe I didn't look in the right place. Hey, I'm not that bright to begin with. I thought I'd do a write up on this procedure.

Be sure to check out my other write-ups:

How To: Replace Blend Door Actuator in 3rd Gen Ex

How To: Remove/Replace 3rd Gen Door Panel

How To: Install Signal Mirrors On 3rd Gen Ex

How To: Restore Faded, Yellowing Headlights

How To: Paint Rear Pillar Trim

How To: Replace 3rd Gen Ambient Air Temperature Sensor

How To: Test a Relay

How To: Remove/Replace 3rd Gen Center Console

It's not that difficult. If I can do it, anyone can. This is my first write up so go easy on me. Here we go:

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Installation is reverse of removal.

picture.php

picture.php

I took my time with this as I was enjoying some adult beverages. I guess it could be done in about a half hour. Hope this helps out. The forum has been good to me and I hope this gives a little back.

Thanks, Rondo

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Rondo-

How did the replacement go? Looks like you meant to post the explanation, but forgot to put it in? I find myself with a bad multifunction Switch on a 2002 Mountaineer, and would apperciate any info you might have....

I can't figure out to get it apart....

Rondo-

How did the replacement go? Looks like you meant to post the explanation, but forgot to put it in? I find myself with a bad multifunction Switch on a 2002 Mountaineer, and would apperciate any info you might have....

I can't figure out to get it apart....

Welcome aboard! :salute:

The replacement went well. I guess your right I didn't mention anything. Installation is the reverse of removal. So you just perform the steps from the last one to the first one.

Good luck with the fix. :biggthump:

Welcome aboard! :salute:

The replacement went well. I guess your right I didn't mention anything. Installation is the reverse of removal. So you just perform the steps from the last one to the first one.

Good luck with the fix. :biggthump:

How does it come apart? I am little apprehensive tearing apart my steering column, I really wanted to take the stem out and see if I can pop off the cap at the end and clean the contacts...but it looks like I have to remove the plastic housing around the steering column, and then it appears there a couple of screws that hold the stem in? is that correct?

How does it come apart? I am little apprehensive tearing apart my steering column, I really wanted to take the stem out and see if I can pop off the cap at the end and clean the contacts...but it looks like I have to remove the plastic housing around the steering column, and then it appears there a couple of screws that hold the stem in? is that correct?

Are the pictures not showing up? If not, let me know and I'll fix that. If the pictures are showing up, then just follow the instructions and you should be all set.

If you have a 3rd Gen Explorer, 2002 - 2005, then popping the cap off will do no good. That is the first thing I tried. There are no contacts under the cap to clean.

Are the pictures not showing up? If not, let me know and I'll fix that. If the pictures are showing up, then just follow the instructions and you should be all set.

If you have a 3rd Gen Explorer, 2002 - 2005, then popping the cap off will do no good. That is the first thing I tried. There are no contacts under the cap to clean.

No pics showing up here....a lot of space though....

I had read about the older models and saw the pics for those....but sadly not the same. We'll if the thing doesn't come apart, then I'll just order a whole new switch instead of trying to fix/clean the one.

I am living in the UK, with my US spec Mountaineer....try to avoid ordering when I have to....

Pix show up fine here. Great write up BTW. Thanks!

Pix show up fine here. Great write up BTW. Thanks!

Thanks! :biggthump I don't know why forcemac can't see the pictures? :dunno: Maybe there are some restrictions on his computer?

well...it's a bummer that the pics aren't showing up. Don't know why...I don't have any special security software running or anything. I tried with IE and Firefox.....just space....not even little red x's.....

ok..bizzare...had to click on "turn Img code" on....it was already on....but clicked it anyways...now I can see the photos...

I have pics here too....Great write-up...and a little entertaining. Thanks!

Ryan

well...it's a bummer that the pics aren't showing up. Don't know why...I don't have any special security software running or anything. I tried with IE and Firefox.....just space....not even little red x's.....

ok..bizzare...had to click on "turn Img code" on....it was already on....but clicked it anyways...now I can see the photos...

Good deal. I'm glad you can now see the photos. :thumbsup:

I have pics here too....Great write-up...and a little entertaining. Thanks!

Ryan

Thanks. :D

I didn't see this write up until now. Thanks for taking the time to make this thread. It's now a sticky on the top of this section. Keep up the good work! :thumbsup:

Thank you sir!

Very well done! I like the text bubbles... :D

Downloading PhotoScape. Opting OUT of the Google Toolbar. Why? Why does EVERY program think I need the Google Toolbar!!!! :D

BB- Paint can do ovals and stuff...

Here is a quick summary pic- box, rounded box, oval, and dinosaur type thingy saying "roar!" (yes, I drew that myself, btw...)

bubbles.jpg

Downloading PhotoScape. Opting OUT of the Google Toolbar. Why? Why does EVERY program think I need the Google Toolbar!!!! :D

BB- Paint can do ovals and stuff...

Here is a quick summary pic- box, rounded box, oval, and dinosaur type thingy saying "roar!" (yes, I drew that myself, btw...)

Joe, you are a man of many talents.

Hardly any of them are actually useful though... :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's nice artwork Joe. I saw the option in MS Paint to make a circle, but I wasn't able to add text into it. I would like to know how you filled it in. It has an option to spray paint, but it's hard to get it inside of the shape. Maybe you could make a tutorial in the photoshop section of this site. I'll even make it a sticky for you. I don't want to clutter up this thread by getting off of the subject.

Back