How To: Replace Multifunction Switch | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How To: Replace Multifunction Switch

Good deal! :thumbsup: Did replacing the MFS fix your problem?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This was a fantastic write-up! The pictures were excellent!
Your instructions were accurate for our 2002 Ford Explorer XLT.
My 15 year old son with auto mechanic aspirations, but with little mechanical or car repair experience so far was able to follow the directions and did the repair by himself with no help from dad! See attached photo of him reassembling the steering column.
This posting saved us a few hundred dollars! Thanks BigRondo!

DSCN3222.JPG

This was a fantastic write-up! The pictures were excellent!
Your instructions were accurate for our 2002 Ford Explorer XLT.
My 15 year old son with auto mechanic aspirations, but with little mechanical or car repair experience so far was able to follow the directions and did the repair by himself with no help from dad! See attached photo of him reassembling the steering column.
This posting saved us a few hundred dollars! Thanks BigRondo!

Welcome aboard! :salute:

Glad I could help! :biggthump

I just ordered the part! I found it for $74.40 on amazon.... same one on rockauto went for 90 dollars. Both Motorcraft, Both Brand New.....Thats a heck of a price difference.

Nice score!!! Good luck with the fix and be sure to let us know how you make out! :thumbsup:

I can not see the pictures. I can see all other pictures in your post except this one. My 2004 explorer it would blink a few times then stay on on both left and right. Then I turn on the 4 way as it works. When turn off the 4 way then turn on right or left then they would blink 10 +/- times then stop with the light on as it would no longer blink.

I replaced the turn switch, I guess that is what is called the Multifunction switch. I bought a used one that a tree fell on the car. Same make model of my car and it came apart like mine so it was easy to get it out. So I put this on into my car and still the same problem. I could not test this part in the other car as other parts were already taken out already. So.. still with the same problem. It will work for a few 10 blinks +/- then stay on. Dealers are not much help for anything as they do not know other then bring it in.

I check all the bulbs and when it is working that they all work.

Not sure what step needs to be taken now, other then replace it with a new one from the dealer?

Sounds like it might be the turn signal/hazard flasher.
Posted via Mobile Device

Is that under the dash above the fuse box? Weird design of that fuze box and not much room to get to it.

The relay is actually located on the back side of the passenger compartment fuse panel. According to the manual, the fuse panel must be removed to access the relays but some on here have changed the flasher without removing the fuse panel.

Here is the info from my owner's manual. If you don't have an owner's manual, Dead Link Removed.

#1 is the turnsignal/hazard flasher:

Dead Link Removed Dead Link Removed

Hope this helps out! :biggthump

THANKS!
Mine is on the drivers side! Fuse box and right above it I can feel the relay blink when it decides to work. It is blue as I can see it but I can not get to it unless I have really small hands. I removed 1/2 of the dash and so far I still can not get to it. ARG~ Not sure how to get to it to pull it out.

Soooooooo....... hummm..... Maybe tomorrow when more light out I can figure out something.

Thanks for the copies and I download the Owners Guide! Big HELP! Now to get it replaced!!

THANKS!
Mine is on the drivers side! Fuse box and right above it I can feel the relay blink when it decides to work. It is blue as I can see it but I can not get to it unless I have really small hands. I removed 1/2 of the dash and so far I still can not get to it. ARG~ Not sure how to get to it to pull it out.

Soooooooo....... hummm..... Maybe tomorrow when more light out I can figure out something.

Thanks for the copies and I download the Owners Guide! Big HELP! Now to get it replaced!!

Sorry, where are my manners? :dunno: Welcome to the forum!! :salute:

Correct, it's on the driver's side. Good luck and be sure to let us know how you make out!

Installed it today and bam...no more wipers staying on 24/7! Thanks for the awesome write up.....I can rest easy now.

Installed it today and bam...no more wipers staying on 24/7! Thanks for the awesome write up.....I can rest easy now.

Good to go!!! :thumbsup:

The wipers staying on all the time was driving me nuts too!! :banghead:

I hear ya, 3 sets of wiper blades and a whole lot of cursing later, its fixed. and at a fraction of the cost it would have been taking it to the dealer.

My 2004 explorer it would blink a few times then stay on on both left and right. Then I turn on the 4 way as it works. When turn off the 4 way then turn on right or left then they would blink 10 +/- times then stop with the light on as it would no longer blink.

I replaced the turn switch, I guess that is what is called the Multifunction switch. I bought a used one that a tree fell on the car. Same make model of my car and it came apart like mine so it was easy to get it out. So I put this on into my car and still the same problem. It will work for a few 10 blinks +/- then stay on. Dealers are not much help for anything as they do not know other then bring it in.

I check all the bulbs and when it is working that they all work.

Not sure what step needs to be taken now, other then replace it with a new one from the dealer?

I had similar symptoms and a new Flasher Relay took care of it.

Here are instructions for Flasher replacement (see post #9):
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=262131

After reading other posts, it seems that a key symptom for a broken Flasher is that the turn signal starts to flash, then randomly stops (vs. not working at all). For me, the hazard lights worked fine, but the turn signal would flash 1-10 times, then get stuck either on or off (unpredictable). Sometimes it would even flicker at random speeds, rather than the normal tick, tick, tick...

multi function switch

Hi,

Was reading the posts about replacing a multi function switch...I had mine replaced in a 95 Explorer a year ago. About 4 months ago, I started having blinker issues... the left blinker would work fine but the right one would work when it felt like it. I replaced the flasher, the bulb and the part that connects to the bulb. Some days the right blinker works all day but the next day it will not work...not sure if it is a faulty multi function switch or wiring problems? Any suggestions???

Thank You,

Rob

great post -very helpful made the job quick and easy with one exception, the MFS screw on my '02 XLT was 5mm not 7mm so i had to run back down to the basement to grab a 5mm (and another adult beverage). Also the flexable boot for the tilt wheel just unclips from the top column cover so you can take the cover all the way off

thanks again

great post -very helpful made the job quick and easy with one exception, the MFS screw on my '02 XLT was 5mm not 7mm so i had to run back down to the basement to grab a 5mm (and another adult beverage). Also the flexable boot for the tilt wheel just unclips from the top column cover so you can take the cover all the way off

thanks again

You're welcome. :thumbsup: Nicely done. :D:thumbsup:

wish i had bought a new swithc first time I did this. Penny wise pound foolish. Now I have to replace in a hurry because of FHP vehicle inspection road blocks, so can't shop for savings online. But htanks for the instructions, made changing it the first time a breeze, can probably do it second time blindfolded!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Glad I could help out. :biggthump

Back