How To: Replace Multifunction Switch | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How To: Replace Multifunction Switch

Thanks Rondo, extremely helpful. Here were my symptoms related to this MFS. The right signal, brake light indicater, blinkers didn't work (the bulb would not light up). I replaced the flasher relay (suspected that would not solve my problem but it was $20) and that didn't fix.

To diagnose, I plugged in the whole light assembly into the left and all bulbs and functions worked as they should. So that left me with wiring from the assembly back to the MFS as the root cause. I wiggled the wires on the MFS unit itself and occasionally the switch reacted as it should but it was intermittent. I looked for a loose wire as others have described but couldn't find anything. I just popped in a new OEM MFS, for $100 well worth it. It works like a charm.

Why OEM? With the number of functions this thing has, I didn't want to take a chance with an inferior part. Hope this helps someone.

The pics in OP no longer show up. (probably because the thread has been around so long). Did anyone save them who can repost? Have a 98 Mountaineer and the turn signals/hazards only work if the tilt steering column is in the upper/forward-most position. If you lower it even one notch it causes the turn signal wires to disconnect. From the replies it sounds like the pics in the OP show how to best remove the steering column shroud. Thanks.

check the 2nd gen, this is the 02-05 section which might be different. It's only 3 screws that holds the shroud, once opened a 5.5 socket is used to remove the switch. can easily be done in 10mins.

search youtube, lots of how tos.

check the 2nd gen, this is the 02-05 section which might be different. It's only 3 screws that holds the shroud, once opened a 5.5 socket is used to remove the switch. can easily be done in 10mins.

search youtube, lots of how tos.

Thanks. I'll search youtube again. Didn't find an applicable video the first time around.

Back