• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

how to replace rear timing chain guide?

Russ in CT

Reaction score
City, State
Milford, CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 XLT
I may be pulling the engine ('99 Explorer, 4.0 SOHC) to replace the balance tensioner. A shop as already replaced the jackshaft chain & gears, tensioner & guide, the front tensioner and guide, and the rear tensioner (then after it was put back together the balance tensioner broke).

Anyway, the only timing chain plastic bit that won't have been replaced is the rear guide, and if I'm pulling the engine anyway, I'm thinking why not do the rear guide at the same time?

The question I have is, can the rear guide be replaced without pulling the rear chain? In other words, can I do this without taking all the front cover stuff off all over again, and without the timing tools?

jsaid

Reaction score
City, State
urbana
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 xlt
dont remove the front cover etc. there is a plug that u have to remove( on the rear) , to access to a bolt guide.but is is very close to the firewall.
Maybe without the intake you can reach it , I'm not sure . I want to do the same work without removing the engine .