• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

How to replace the front wheel bearings on a 2003 Ford Explorer XLT.

TexasFord03

Reaction score
City, State
Dallas,Tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 XLT
ok heres my problem:

On the front left..there is a wheel bearing hub assembly with speed sensor. Can the bearings inside the hub be replaced, if so, how do you get them out. Or do you have to replace the entire hub assembly?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

BrooklynBay

Moderator & long time member.
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

gsmaclean

Reaction score
City, State
Strongsville, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 Limited
You replace the entire hub, speed sensor and all.

thepotroast

Reaction score
City, State
Asheville, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
3rd Gen EB 4x4 V8

Dianne Lawler

Reaction score
City, State
Russellville,Alabama
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 xlt
after replaceing hub unit the abs light came on and stays on how to turn it off

BrooklynBay

Moderator & long time member.
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

03explorerowner

Reaction score
City, State
Massachusetts
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ford Explorer XLT
Can someone please tell me Why???

Background: I have a 2003 Ford Explorer XLT, December of 2010 I replaced the Right front hub assembly and Left Rear Wheel bearings. Christmas 2011, I replaced the Right rear wheel bearing.

Friday I was told that my right front wheel bearing has shit the bed again and needs to be replaced. Umm, I just did that a year an a half ago, bearing only has a little over 30,000 miles on it. Why is my explorer shitting through wheel bearings??? I am NOT rough on this vehicle at all, not even bumping curbs and I avoid all bumps possible in the road (I do live in new england so its not always possible). I feel like when I get them replaced they are not doing it correctly or screwing me over because I am a woman.

How long should a bearing be lasting me? Are certain bearings better than others to put on? Someone mentioned a timkin bearing has a life time warrenty on it so if I spend the money once I won't have to again. I just feel like this car is eating bearings like cherrio's

tower

Reaction score
City, State
Millbury, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 Limited centennial
I put in a bearing from NAPA lasted about as long as yours, put in a timkin and about 110k later still works great.

BigRondo

USMC 1371
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Worcester, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT V6 4x4
Same thing with me. I put in the cheap one and replaced it after a short while. Put in a Timken and it's good to go. Knock on wood! :hammer:

joeburmeister

Reaction score
City, State
Augusta, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Mercury Mountaineer
The wheel bearings sold at Autozone is Timkin and it comes with a life time warranty. The only downside is that it doesn't come with new bolts (like the ones from the dealer). I did my front bearings last summer and so far no problems!

antsmands

Reaction score
City, State
Chicago, IL.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer XLT
Seems like there should be or should have been a safety recall on these bearings. Does anyone know if Ford issues maintenance bulletins on these bearings? I need to replace my bearings also.

HCCA 250

Reaction score
City, State
IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Eddie Bauer
SKF is the best bearing you can get for your Explorer. I used a Raybestos, hub and wheel bearing. Also good. But, I'll bet that I should have used either MOOG, or SKF. Hind sight, is 20/20...

When it comes to wheel bearings, you CANNOT skimp...period!