How to replace the rear main seal? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to replace the rear main seal?

rvaedge

Reaction score
City, State
Richmond, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 5.0
So I had the shop check for an oil leak around my oil gasket, and they said it was coming from the rear main seal. I want to attempt to replace it myself. I know I have to move the transmission out of the way to get to the seal. Do I have to drop the transmission completely? Could someone give me some quick directions as to how to move the transmission and how to replace the seal. I searched and couldn't find anything straight forward, but if you have a link that would help, that'd be great. I'll take any help I can get. I just want to fix it before it gets too bad, but I dont want to spend the $1000 to have a shop change a $15 part. Thanks in advance!

So I had the shop check for an oil leak around my oil gasket, and they said it was coming from the rear main seal. I want to attempt to replace it myself. I know I have to move the transmission out of the way to get to the seal. Do I have to drop the transmission completely? Could someone give me some quick directions as to how to move the transmission and how to replace the seal. I searched and couldn't find anything straight forward, but if you have a link that would help, that'd be great. I'll take any help I can get. I just want to fix it before it gets too bad, but I dont want to spend the $1000 to have a shop change a $15 part. Thanks in advance!
I been using rear main seal repair, it seem too be working leak stop

Back