How to replace the rear main seal? | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

• Holiday Special! - 2 for 1 Elite Explorer sale!

Right now you can purchase an Elite Explorer membership for $20 and receive a two year membership! If you have an existing Elite membership contact me by PM and I will upgrade your account manually.

Click Here to start your membership and get rid of the ads!

How to replace the rear main seal?

rvaedge

Reaction score
City, State
Richmond, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 5.0
So I had the shop check for an oil leak around my oil gasket, and they said it was coming from the rear main seal. I want to attempt to replace it myself. I know I have to move the transmission out of the way to get to the seal. Do I have to drop the transmission completely? Could someone give me some quick directions as to how to move the transmission and how to replace the seal. I searched and couldn't find anything straight forward, but if you have a link that would help, that'd be great. I'll take any help I can get. I just want to fix it before it gets too bad, but I dont want to spend the $1000 to have a shop change a $15 part. Thanks in advance!

IZwack

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Germantown, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer

Pete Deering

Reaction score
City, State
New England
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 xlt 4 door 4x4
So I had the shop check for an oil leak around my oil gasket, and they said it was coming from the rear main seal. I want to attempt to replace it myself. I know I have to move the transmission out of the way to get to the seal. Do I have to drop the transmission completely? Could someone give me some quick directions as to how to move the transmission and how to replace the seal. I searched and couldn't find anything straight forward, but if you have a link that would help, that'd be great. I'll take any help I can get. I just want to fix it before it gets too bad, but I dont want to spend the $1000 to have a shop change a $15 part. Thanks in advance!
I been using rear main seal repair, it seem too be working leak stop