How to replace upper intake manifold gaskets | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to replace upper intake manifold gaskets

Bringing an old post back from the dead, just to say thanks to KaiserM715 for the write-up.
I replaced these gaskets on my wifes 97 Explorer last night to fix a trouble code (bank 1 too lean) and rough running when the truck was cold. Ran great this morning when I drove it at 28 degrees out, no warm up. ;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have the same codes as yours, but its on a 2000 explorer sport with a sohc.
My question: As to the procedures described to repair the problem on your ohv... would they be the same (with standing the physical differences between the ohv verses the sohc) as to repairing my sohc?
My vehicle, when COLD won't ideal by itself (I have to keep reving it to keep it from stalling), but when it has warmed up, it runs perfect.
Any and all help and or suggestions are greatly appreciated.
TeddyB

Teddy, did you ever fix this issue? If so, what did you do. I have the same issues with my 02 Sport 4.0 Sohc.

Chris

Time to Complete?

Did anyone post typical time involved for upper/lower job?

Took me about 1.5 hours for the upper on my 2000 sohc. CEL went away for 1 day then came back. So it must be the lower's that are causing the issue. Uppers looked brand new. I'm guessing another 1.5 hours for the lower. I dont see how it can be the lower because there are NO signs of leakage anywhere and when the engine is started, I sprayed carb cleaner all over the engine and no surge at all. Even though I am pulling codes p0171 and p0174, would a diagnostic test help any further?

That sucks :(
I was afraid of the same thing when I only replaced the uppers, but luckily I haven't had an issue since.

Thank you so much for the writeup!! Very appriciated! this site is awesome
DSCF0887.jpg

DSCF0875.jpg

DSCF0863.jpg

DSCF0951.jpg

DSCF0952.jpg

DSCF0957.jpg

How long does all of this take?

Well, im pro now cuz i've taken it apart sooo many times.
DSCF0970.jpg

DSCF0978.jpg

DSCF1005.jpg

DSCF1010.jpg

DSCF0986.jpg

DSCF0972.jpg

Here are the tools off the top of my head.
Beer, or alcohol - lots of it
No smoking. sorry you cancerstick addicts
Air compressor with a blower hookup. Blow the **** out from under your plastic plenum before you take it off - you'll get dirt inside the engine and on the fuel injectors if you do that later (i learned the hard way)
1/2 inch deep on 3/8in drive
1/2 inch on 3/8in drive
7/16 deep on 3/8in drive
10mm on 3/8in drive
7mm on 1/4in drive
8mm/ 5/16 on 1/4in drive
E7 External Torx socket on 1/4in with 3/8in adapter
long flathead screwdriver
3/8in wobbly to get the 1/2sae bolt off the bracket that supports the coilpack
3/8in long extension
3/8 short extension
5.5mm on a 1/4in drive (for your idle adj)
Fat phillips head for the TPS
large or small adjustable crescent wrench for the fuel line
10mm wrench
1/2 in wrench
ANTI SEIZE
Lots of brake cleaner
fresh air. take a deep breath u can do it!
more beer, hal merry and start the truck up

takes me several hours when double checking everything i do and taking plenty of time to chug the beer

Hey 96XLTRanger
did you use the paper gasket on both the top and bottom when you put it all back together?

dude...did you even look at the pictures?

The part numbers are right there. they will answer your question AND help you find them yourself. can you handle that?

ok, the only thing I'm still confused on is the egr...I got a gasket set from felpro and it came with the big long one, three little ones, and an o-ring for the egr....how do you unhook the egr and where at?

Hey 96XLTRanger
did you use the paper gasket on both the top and bottom when you put it all back together?
A valid question - on your last picture shows a paper gasket on top of the fuelrail. Only the plastic intake with the o-rings goes on top...

Also, is that blue silicon RTV on the EGR?
Make a note - you never use silicon on intake/exhaust/engine oil areas. If the out-gassing gets to the oxygen sensors, it will destroy them!

see looking at the pictures i didnt think that was right. theres to gasket set i had to by the old one and the new one but only need the paper gasket on the bottom half, and besides this was never my issuue in the first place .. it was my VMV

wow sorry no sleep had a few mistakes there lol

thats grease, not silicon. i put grease on to aid in putting the plenum back on.

i've read that a lot of you have trouble with the egr - taking off and putting back on the plenum. I've found that if you move the coil pack, disconnect the wires, and make some space for the plenum to be pulled up, you can slant the back of the plenum up and clear the egr to get it off. also, when putting the plenum back on, stand on the drivers side on a chair or something (if youre short) and pull on the egr's retainer pipe slightly to get the idea of how much force you'll have to put on it to move it over enough to pop that plenum down on the bolts and make the egr go through as well.

I didn't even disconnect the egr pipe.

so why is there a paper gasket on top of the fuel rail? it doesnt belong there when there is a plastic upper with o-rings....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There's not paper gasket on top of the fuel rail. There's three o rings in the bottom of the plenumn, then the fuel rail, then a thick gasket that rests above the intake manifold.

Back