• Register Today It's free!

How to replace viscous coupler

Big6ft6

Reaction score
City, State
Madison, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 5.0 AWD
I'm considering just opening the transfer case and replacing the VC. A new VC is $300-$400, a rebuilt T-case is $1000.

Do you need any special tools to get to the coupler? Do you break anything in the process (do you ruin any seals or anything else that will have to be replaced from opening the t-case?)

Any insight would be great! I've never rebuilt anything, my experience stops at installing complete engines and bolting in complete transmissions...I've never tore into the guyts of anything before.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm considering just opening the transfer case and replacing the VC. A new VC is $300-$400, a rebuilt T-case is $1000.

Do you need any special tools to get to the coupler? Do you break anything in the process (do you ruin any seals or anything else that will have to be replaced from opening the t-case?)

Any insight would be great! I've never rebuilt anything, my experience stops at installing complete engines and bolting in complete transmissions...I've never tore into the guyts of anything before.

You are picking one heck of a thing to "cut your teeth on"! To answer your questions as best I can, the AWD case is actually much simpler than the others. What you "break" is the seal material between the two halves of the case itself. It's Silicone Rubber, not a pre-made gasket, and is replaced using Silicone Gel. Obviously, if you rip apart a transfer case, it is wise to replace it's shaft seals while doing the job, as good insurance. Beyond this, I can't tell you more, as I never have diasassembled that type of case, only the types with gears in them. imp

You may want to buy a used case for $100-$200 and save some hassle

If you decided that the VC is "bad" (I doubt it, but is your car) and decided to replace it - once you have case open you could replace the bearings and gaskets for peace of mind. Those are not that expensive.

Thanks Izwack, I had read through this post as well as Gavin's post on rebuilding the 4404. They helped me understand where the VC was in the case and lots of info on how it works and how to test it. But I was still looking for the specifics on any special tools (like a press or something) needed or special parts besides the VC needed to get it out of there and repalce it.

I actually PM'd Gavin, I hope he doesn't mind me posting the answer he gave me, but the question resulted in such good feedback, I thought I would post here for others to use too!

Here is what Gavin said
"I believe it's the 11th picture [in my 4404 rebuild thread] that shows the shaft that the VC is pressed on to; including another gear and a bearing.
Basically, you would pull the case apart, press the shaft out of the bearing, gear, and VC, then of course reverse with the new VC in place.

You shouldn't actually need a press.
I just placed it on a couple chunks of 2x4, found a socket that fit just inside the bearing, and (lightly) hammered the shaft out.
I didn't actually use a press for any of it. Just a little persuasion

no special tools are required for just doing the VC. And no parts should need replaced; especially if just replacing the VC."

Back