How To: Replacing Front Hub / Bearing 1995+ Ford Explorer IFS | Page 9 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How To: Replacing Front Hub / Bearing 1995+ Ford Explorer IFS

What causes the Explorer to eat through wheel bearings?

I replaced the driver's side about 8 months ago due to grinding and extreme heat and amount of play in it. Turns out that's exactly what was wrong but I replaced it with a cheapo $65 part from ebay with a 'Lifetime" warranty. (they never responded to replace this) About 6 months later and 3k-4k miles I began getting an extreme vibration and an very audible roar coming from the driver's side that would disappear when I turned right. I could feel it in the floor board underneath the pedals. There was no play but I then replaced it again but this time with an OEM replacement from CarQuest. It's just beginning to act up again when I turn left so I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong or my Explorer is eating wheel bearings. All I did was remove the old, wipe out the old crap from the axel and replaced with the new. Is there anything I'm supposed to seal or grease.. apparently I'm missing something, what is it?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

FYI Timken,the factory installed assembly only has a 1 year warranty. Timken makes excellent bearings so the fact that only warranty this application may infact imply X's like to dine on bearings. There is nothing to lube,sealed unit. Although when you remove it there is grease outside of the "sealed" unit. I think it's just another better idea by Ford that isn't.

I hated having to rent a spindle nut tool to pack my 4 runner bearings but atleast I could clean and pack them when I wanted.

Can camber inflict damage to the Hub assemblies? I meant the whole assembly by the way, my fault for saying just the bearings.

I've noticed both the front tires of my Explorer have a little bit of negative camber, don't know if they come stock like that or would that be the torsion bars just fading over time.

I might just try torquing down the nut to 250ft/lbs again, see if that corrects anything, if not, looking at Timken bearings..

Thanks!

Can camber inflict damage to the Hub assemblies? I meant the whole assembly by the way, my fault for saying just the bearings.

I've noticed both the front tires of my Explorer have a little bit of negative camber, don't know if they come stock like that or would that be the torsion bars just fading over time.

I might just try torquing down the nut to 250ft/lbs again, see if that corrects anything, if not, looking at Timken bearings..

Thanks!

yes, over/under-torqued axle nut can cause premature wear, as can alignment issues.

Thanks!

No the - camber is not normal. Mine is just starting to have the "explorer tilt" too but I've seen and maybe you have too, some that look down right scary.

I'm thinking new lower ball joints should fix.

Unless your alignment is WAY off I don't see that causing a serious problem w/ CV alignment. I also believe the majority of what I read from seasoned members on here about over torquing not causing rapid failure,due to the design of the assembly itself. Don't get me wrong torque specs on stuff like this are a must but I don't see it making much difference.

Wll after some reading and knowing i can save some cash I replaced both wheel hub on 2002 rwd it too me about 1.5 hours per side very easy with not front axle!

thanks

1999 Explorer sport, AWD

When I try to loosen/take off my axle nut, the axle just spins with it. Is this supposed to happen?

1999 Explorer sport, AWD

When I try to loosen/take off my axle nut, the axle just spins with it. Is this supposed to happen?

yes.
you need to leave the weight of the vehicle on the tire to loosen it.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Just replaced my front hubs in 4 hours, for $225.00 Couple repair shops estimates STARTED at $900.00

Couple points. Some of the bolts were tough to get off. One of the the hub retaining bolt's didn't want to come off. Be ready to heat a stubborn bolt with a propane trouch to loosen it up. Might be a good idea, the night before, to spray the bolts with wd-40 and give the bolts a couple light hits with a hammer to loosen them up.

I'm an explorer newbie, I kinda freaked out when the wheel hub turned with the car jacked up while "in park." Usually car's wheels do not turn when in park because the tranie is engaged.

This tutorial was the best thing I have seen in a while.

Thank you so much.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Just replaced my front hubs in 4 hours, for $225.00 Couple repair shops estimates STARTED at $900.00

Couple points. Some of the bolts were tough to get off. One of the the hub retaining bolt's didn't want to come off. Be ready to heat a stubborn bolt with a propane trouch to loosen it up. Might be a good idea, the night before, to spray the bolts with wd-40 and give the bolts a couple light hits with a hammer to loosen them up.

I'm an explorer newbie, I kinda freaked out when the wheel hub turned with the car jacked up while "in park." Usually car's wheels do not turn when in park because the tranie is engaged.

This tutorial was the best thing I have seen in a while.

Thank you so much.

You should soak in pb blaster, or liquid wrench if you can't get pb blaster. wd-40 is not a penetrating oil.

WD40 was rated at 250ish, PB Blaster at 225ish, Liquid Wrench was 150(best common penetrant), and the ATF/Acetone was 75 or less.

Sorry, I cannot tell what parts of the site are out of view by non members. That is the best Ford power site there is. Guests can see more than 10 post members, but I don't which parts are affected.

pro advice exact

:)thumbsup:)damn right on and informative professional...read after the fact and these are the facts Jack...easier than you would think.....after market taiwanese parts half price....www.am-autoparts.com...why not...half the crap on these junkers is aftermarket...door problems anyone

This was a great help. It did not cure the noise though. Will a half shaft make a roaring noise also?

Hey, I'm new here, but the bearing on the front driver side of my AWD Limited is going fast. Could I get away with just pressing out the bearing, and pressing a new one in?

Thanks

Hey, I'm new here, but the bearing on the front driver side of my AWD Limited is going fast. Could I get away with just pressing out the bearing, and pressing a new one in?

Thanks

no.
the hub/bearing assy's are sealed units and cannot be serviced.

Hub Assembly Failure

I've had some crazy issues with my explorer latly. I had to remove the front axle and when i was doing a test drive my wheel went perpendicular to the car :roll: . Had to replace the hub 3 times in 1/2 mile. I also had to replace the rotor and caliper and brakes. Anyways i've done the repair on the side of the road, so its pretty easy. Still having issues with the driver side. I dont know why.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hub assemblys

Thank you very much for this great article,living over here in Perth Western Australia its a godsend having you guys to refer to when it comes to the ex,ive just purchased the beast and driven across the nullarbor plain over to New South Wales and down to Canberra and back to Perth a total of 6500kms in 2 and a half weeks to visit a couple of my mates and the beast didnt miss a beat,but i think the bearings in the front hubs are on their way out,which brings me to my question, a guy at work looked at this article and wants to know about the brake caliper wether you have to compress the piston to remove it from the rotor,after seeing your article im tempted to have a go myself,im trying to get the hub assemblys from the US as the Ford prices over here are a absolute disgrace,how did Ford go broke charging prices like this for parts,anyway great site,glad to be a part of it cheers from the West.

Back