How to: Reset the oil change warning light. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Reset the oil change warning light.

drod

Reaction score
City, State
Oklahoma City, OK
Year, Model & Trim Level
'06 XLT
Howdy, I'm new to the Forum, but this is my fourth Explorer.
Truthfully, I liked my '01 a whole bunch better than the '06... It ran better, got twice the milage, this one can't pass a gas station. Probaly not too bad at a buck a gallon, but really not fun at three bucks. And the '01 was much more fun to drive. However. As I approached 4500 miles in this one the change engine oil soon light came on. At 4650 mile the change engine oil required light came on. Changed oil. Can't figure out how to reset the stupid light..
The Garage couldn't help. They said, they heard it was hard. Anybody got a clue? Thanks

(Answer in post #3)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can try disconnecting your negative cable from the battery. This works to clear stored CEL & SEL codes.

I can't garantee it will work but its easy & free :)

.) Press the TRIP/RESET button to cycle to "SETUP MENU HOLD RESET".

2.) Now press and hold the button for 2 seconds until "RESET FOR SYSTEM CHECK" is displayed, then release.

3.) Imediately press and hold button for 2 more seconds until "Oil 100% RESET IF NEW" is displayed, then release.

4.) Imediately press button once to display "HOLD RESET IF NEW OIL" and release.

5.) Imediately press and hold button for 2 seconds until "OIL LIFE SET TO 100%" is displayed.

welcome

Ok the reset button is doing nothing, key is on, im using the reset button next to the setup and info buttons. I have tried everything in the owners manual. What am i missing?

Worked for mine and I don't have the setup button on dash I did it following the instructions above. Just at setup menu hit and hold button then when it says system check then you can push button to toggle through the setup menu.

Works exactly like that for my '06.

Your owners manual has the proceedure shown above. Works fine on my '07. Not hard.

Does yours look like this?

My 2007 Explorer Limited does NOT look like this. Instead I have to use these steps:

1. Start the vehicle and leave it in park.

2. Press the Setup button.

3. Per the instructions that appear in the display, press the Reset button to run a system check.

4. The first screen of the system check tells you your current oil life percentage and says to hold Reset for new oil. Hold the Reset button until it resets to 100%.

With my 06, it's the same way. I can't access the reset menu if the vehicle isn't running. If you start your truck and then cycle through to the setup menu, you should be able to reset your oil life.

Back