How to setup Sync3 so ALL phone audio comes through all the time? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to setup Sync3 so ALL phone audio comes through all the time?

craigb_MA

Reaction score
City, State
Metro west, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer XLT
If I'm streaming audio via BT from my Android phone (not using AA), e.g. Amazon Music, and a different app needs to interrupt the music this all works fine. For example, I have Waze running and it's alerting me of a road hazard up ahead, this plays properly over Sync audio and temporarily suspends the music. Perfect.

Now instead, I'm listing to a different audio source (XM/FM/USB stick), but the phone is still connected via BT for phone/text. If the phone rings, the existing XM audio is muted to alert/answer the phone call. However, the Waze alert as well as any other phone app audio not only wont play on Sync, it also wont be heard on the phone, as the phone is assuming the audio is streaming over BT.

How do I set up Sync so that if my phone is connected via BT, that any phone app audio plays over Sync and interrupts the currently playing audio Source (e.g. XM).

I havent had any success in getting AA (Android Auto) to work either via USB or BT.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum craig.:wave:
I don't think a 2005 Explorer XLT has Sync 3, does it? Please update your profile or add the new Explorer to a signature if you still have the 2005. Thanks.
Sorry I can't help with your issue. I don't have a Smartphone.

Peter

If I'm streaming audio via BT from my Android phone (not using AA), e.g. Amazon Music, and a different app needs to interrupt the music this all works fine. For example, I have Waze running and it's alerting me of a road hazard up ahead, this plays properly over Sync audio and temporarily suspends the music. Perfect.

Now instead, I'm listing to a different audio source (XM/FM/USB stick), but the phone is still connected via BT for phone/text. If the phone rings, the existing XM audio is muted to alert/answer the phone call. However, the Waze alert as well as any other phone app audio not only wont play on Sync, it also wont be heard on the phone, as the phone is assuming the audio is streaming over BT.

How do I set up Sync so that if my phone is connected via BT, that any phone app audio plays over Sync and interrupts the currently playing audio Source (e.g. XM).

I havent had any success in getting AA (Android Auto) to work either via USB or BT.
I have an iPhone. Most apps will not work the way you want, when you are on BT the phone is the source of the audio so you get everything that comes over your phone. When on another source apps won’t “work”. With an iPhone Waze alerts do work, because the alerts comes over as an “incoming call”. Just read that Waze now works on AA, so you might want to figure that out.

Welcome to the Forum craig.:wave:
I don't think a 2005 Explorer XLT has Sync 3, does it? Please update your profile or add the new Explorer to a signature if you still have the 2005. Thanks.
Sorry I can't help with your issue. I don't have a Smartphone.

Peter
Yes, good catch. I traded in my 2005 for a 2017 Explorer and forgot to update profile. The new one has Sync3

I have an iPhone. Most apps will not work the way you want, when you are on BT the phone is the source of the audio so you get everything that comes over your phone. When on another source apps won’t “work”. With an iPhone Waze alerts do work, because the alerts comes over as an “incoming call”. Just read that Waze now works on AA, so you might want to figure that out.

I've been totally unsuccessful in getting AA to work. I tried a Sync Update which loaded something, but then it would no longer connect to my existing, paired device. I had to delete the device entirely from Sync and start over. All I can get is "No Apps Found" from Sync.

Back