How to Start an Engine After 6 Years | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to Start an Engine After 6 Years

I just bought a truck with a Chrysler 5.2L pushrod TBI (not sure yet if it's interference or not). The seller reports he hadn't started the engine since 2005.

I want to try to start it to see where I stand regarding just needing a tune-up vs full rebuild. I'm planning on using a new battery of course and doing a cold oil change (with cheap petro-based oil since I'll probably need to flush a few times) with filter. Also, I plan on first trying to breaker-bar crank the engine over to make sure it's not completely seized.

Anything else I should check before turning the key? Pull spark plugs? I don't plan on running it long, so no worries about coolant issues, just want to see if it will run or not.

Pull all the plugs, spray some oil in each cylinder and let it soak in for a day. If you can, pull the distributor (if it has one) and spin the oil pump with a drill to get oil flow through the motor before kicking it over. These two things will help prevent any damage due to a dry start up.

Sounds like good advice, thank you.

Pull all the plugs, spray some oil in each cylinder and let it soak in for a day. If you can, pull the distributor (if it has one) and spin the oil pump with a drill to get oil flow through the motor before kicking it over. These two things will help prevent any damage due to a dry start up.

I just did something similar to that helping a buddy with his dads old boat that had been sitting for at least 3 years. It started right up and ran great even off the old gas still in the tank. I would change the fuel filter AFTER you fill it up with fresh fuel and run it a little also. That new fuel might knock some stuff loose, I would probably Seafoam it to try and "clean" the fuel system as well.

Back