How to Successfully Extract a Bolt | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to Successfully Extract a Bolt

BonesDT

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Westchester, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
Red '99 Sport SOHC 4x4
OK, I keep burning out starters like what. I'm thinking the reason is because the upper starter bolt (which is bolted to the aluminum transmission bellhousing) broke in half a long time ago, leaving the other half lodged in the bellhousing.

I never thought much about it, because the remaining bolt is about 1.5" long, which I thought was long enough to do the job. But now I'm thinking that it isn't getting fully torqued into the threaded bellhousing "nut" and it works its way loose, allowing the starter to wobble, which eventually blows them out. (Sure enough the upper bolt was a little loose when I pulled the starter).

You can see my 3 options of dealing with this problem. I want to try to go with the proper Method 1. However, my three times using bolt extractors, turned out to complete failures because either the extractor implodes and/or it drills through the center of the bolt leaving the threaded shell lodged in the nut for eternity.

Anyone have suggestions on how to properly extract this thing without making a mess. I have some room to work with the tranny bolted up, but I'm painfully thinking it will have to be dropped ... again.

Attachments

• DOC070618.pdf
    25.2 KB · Views: 299

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Get a set of screw out extractors from Sears like this one: http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?pid=00952158000&vertical=Sears&BV_UseBVCookie=Yes, and drill very slowly in reverse.
00952158000?qlt=90,0&resMode=sharp&op_usm=0.9,0.jpg

if you cant get it out extracting they normal way and result in drilling it you can insert a heli-coil and it work fine, done that many times on stuff for the army. Got so bad i stocked all nominal sizes in both SAE and Metric, fine and coarse thread

Do get that bolt out, the starter must have both bolts holding it tightly. Those left handed drills are the best promise now, I've used almost everything else. Try to get it out intact without hurting the threads. If you drill, take plenty of time to be sure that the hole is started in the center. Good luck,

left handed drill bits have saved my day more than a few times

Back