How to take instrument cluster off a 93 explorer, properly? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to take instrument cluster off a 93 explorer, properly?

Jesse Frick

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 4.0L 2WD Explorer
Hey guys! I'm new to the forum, so if it takes me a while to respond, I apologize in advance. I'm still figuring everything out. It wont take me long!
Ok, so my question is how do you take the instrument cluster off a 1993 explorer. What i'm looking to do is take the cluster off to change the stock cluster lights to some blue lights I just bought. I never have really been a fan of green, and I have a lot of other gadgets and what-nots in the front that are all blue so I would like for it to match. I'm also all for anything that I can do to make my Explorer have a more performance look to it, and this is a great way to start. The big thing is getting the dash and other things off without damaging any thing in the process, considering this is a 93. If I could get some detailed instructions about how to do this it would be greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, there are at least 2 great threads, one with pictures, and I can't find either of them. Here is the short version:

Disconnect battery to eliminate beeps and shorts.

Remove Ashtray and bracket, 2 screws.

Remove Radio, maybe just the bezel, depends on if it is aftermarket and how it was installed.

The remaining trim is held by clips and wiring to switches. The trim you want goes from the ashtray up and then left, across over the steering column. Everything under the steering column stays.

Begin pulling trim out from where the ashtray was.

If 4x4 then disconnect wiring at 4x4 switch

If Auto, move shifter to low.

Remove remaining wiring from headlight switch, etc...

Dash panel should now be removable.

Cluster, 4 screws in corners.

If auto, there are 2 additional screws at the gear indicator. The gear indicator part will ultimately stay in the dashboard when you remove the cluster. If manual, disregard.

Cluster will have 2 wire harnesses, and the speedometer cable. The harnesses, if I recall, have pinch release on the ends.

The speedometer cable has a pinch latch as well. Mine was not latched when I got there, so I don't have any hints.

After that, the cluster comes out.

***Alternative Procedure***
I read this while searching... do the above until you get to the cluster 4 screws, but leave them in. You are now looking at the cluster, and you may realize it is really 3 modules side-by-side. I have heard you can just pull the modules out without taking out the entire cluster. I don't think there are screws, you literally just reach in and extract them. The connections are pin and socket, so you don't have connectors to deal with. If so, you will save yourself a headache with the speedometer cable. If you do that, I think you will end up looking at the bulb end of the #194 bulbs.

Otherwise, with the cluster out, the #194 bulbs are those quarter-turn deals from the backside.

Reassembly is the reversal. If you cannot reconnect the speedometer gauge then... well, I grabbed the speedometer cable and gave it a good tug, and I got 3 more inches to work with. If you have automatic trans, be very careful with the screws that hold the shift indicator in. They are hard to position, and if dropped, apparently go to some unreachable point in the steering column.

The bulbs are clear, so you are going to have to get into the modules to figure out where the green filter is and deal with that. Here is a thread on exactly this subject:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=298965&highlight=instrument+blue

Also: You may or may not know by now that the oil pressure gauge is... well, fake. You can make the oil gauge acually work by replacing the sender ($12 part, 1/2 hour). You must also short out a resistor which is on the cluster flex circuit, which is why I am talking about it now. It's a 5 minute thing if the cluster is already out, so I would (and did) combine these 2 tasks and save yourself time down the road. This link is on the oil gauge issue: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14894 The current sender is available at Orielly's, part number S334, $9.99. Borg Warner #S334.

Beep Beep to you on that one, Roadrunner777 !!!

I got it, and shes looking good!

I got it guys, I got the dash off, and cluster off, and put the blue bulbs in. It looks great! Thank you all who posted I looked at all of it, and you all helped me out a lot. Thank you very much! Much Appreciated! Oh, and also in the process of getting the dash off, I painted it as well to match the front components I've also painted. Thanks again guys!

Yeah, 7 or 8mm as I recall, but the automatic shift display has smaller ones, I think... I had to dig deep in the toolbox to find that one, I think my best fit was actually an ASE size on those.

7mm for trim pieces under dash, ashtray, and to remove the main cluster out. There's a 5-6mm for clear lens on cluster (I think)
14mm for 2 bolts that hold the steering column to the dash

Back