How to tell if I have a 4 or 5 speed automatic? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to tell if I have a 4 or 5 speed automatic?

exploration1997

Reaction score
City, State
Manchester, NH
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Explorer XLT
I have a 1997 Ford Explorer XLT and the 5.0L V8 and AWD. I was iust curious how I could tell whether I have a 4 or 5 speed automatic, whether I have to check the VIN or look at some code on the transmission. Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just took a look at the factory workshop manual on ebscohost.com and it could be either apparently.

Have you tried just putting it into drive and seeing how many times it upshifts as you accelerate? 3 times it's a 4 speed, 4 times it's a 5 speed.

I'd also think dropping in at your Ford dealer with the VIN will get your answer. I also seem to recall reading that a code number on the door sticker tells you which tranny you have. Which probably means checking with the dealer to decipher the code :)

The v8 is the 4R70W, 4 speed automatic.

It's more fun to just stomp on the gas and count how many times it shifts!

I just took a look at the factory workshop manual on ebscohost.com and it could be either apparently.

Have you tried just putting it into drive and seeing how many times it upshifts as you accelerate? 3 times it's a 4 speed, 4 times it's a 5 speed.

I'd also think dropping in at your Ford dealer with the VIN will get your answer. I also seem to recall reading that a code number on the door sticker tells you which tranny you have. Which probably means checking with the dealer to decipher the code :)

hmmm.... I think I'll just decipher the VIN code because I just got my license and don't wanna push things...

DO NOT FORGET IT HAS AN OVERDRIVE POSSIBLY.

4 = 4 speed
R = Reverse
70 = 700 ft lbs of torque factory rating
W = Wide ratio gearset (compared to the AOD the 4r70w has a lower first gear and a tall overdrive)

If you attempt to "count" the shifts you may come up with 5 because the converter lock and unlock will/can feel like a 5th gear shift

ALL 5.0 EXPLORERS/MOUNTAINEERS from 1996-2001 left the factory with a 4r70w

That's your fourth gear
The 4th gear overdrive, don't tow with that 4th gear for any heavy loads or up any inclined road.

W = Wide ratio gearset (compared to the AOD the 4r70w has a lower first gear and a tall overdrive)

The AOD and AODE have the same gearing, the 4R70W has four different parts in the guts, which alter the 1st and 2nd gear ratios. So 3rd and 4th are virtually identical in an AOD and 4R70W. The wide ratio gear set moves 1st and 2nd down lower. So the 4R70W ratio spread is good from 1st to 2nd, and 3rd to 4th, but from 2nd to 3rd is a wider gap.

If you wanted best acceleration, you would want the AODE planetary parts, and lower the gears in the diff. I'm doing that for my 347 92 Lincoln, I have the new AODE planetary, ring gear, a new long obsolete sun gear shell, and a Sonnax sun gear(from their direct drum kit($)). My 92 Lincoln has an AOD and 3.27 gears, with the "AODE" the gearing will be stock, pretty good for a 347. 70mph was 2000rpm in stock form, that's what I'm aiming for, I have 3.73's in my 91 LSC, that's too much gear for my taste.

Jaime, later on you need to get into a higher level 302 Explorer project, and swap the 6R80 into it. I'd like to see a stepside Ranger with a strong 302 in it, and the six speed(4.17:1 1st gear). That'd be wicked fun.

6r80 = $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Like $5 grand plus just for the control and adapter and core trans
I agree I want to do this! BUT I was told that the 6r80 is not the best fit behind the SBF, something about it was designed for the later engines with their powerband....... I should let Brett explain this better so if you are going to do it why not use the coyote or ecoboost as well skip the pushrod altogether and I'm like "now we are talking"

Thanks for the clarification on the aod vs 4r!!

Jaime, later on you need to get into a higher level 302 Explorer project, and swap the 6R80 into it. I'd like to see a stepside Ranger with a strong 302 in it, and the six speed(4.17:1 1st gear). That'd be wicked fun.
I think an interesting Ranger build would be using the drive train from a 2011-2014 V6 Mustang with an automatic or manual. The 3.7L V6 is a pretty stout engine (that has an external water pump design) and it comes mated to a 6R80 auto. Plus, these drive trains can be had for cheap and they are plentiful. They can also be tuned to make some impressive power for a V6 engine.

6r80 = $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Like $5 grand plus just for the control and adapter and core trans
I agree I want to do this! BUT I was told that the 6r80 is not the best fit behind the SBF, something about it was designed for the later engines with their powerband....... I should let Brett explain this better so if you are going to do it why not use the coyote or ecoboost as well skip the pushrod altogether and I'm like "now we are talking"

Thanks for the clarification on the aod vs 4r!!

I have done some browsing for 6R swaps, and I can see the lowest possible total cost to be near $5k. The used trans is plentiful, but mileage, 4WD/2WD, it looks like $750 will find one. The aftermarket front adapter kit is $700, but not really worth it. The 1/2" thick AL side pieces and weak 1/2" spacers studs(male/female threaded) for the TC don't impress me. I saw one man making a 1/4" steel spacer, and another with 3/8' steel spacer, guessing trying to use the stock TC etc. Those would be easy and low cost, but the TC, I would prefer a proper high performance unit with extended stud pads(3/8" could be a decent possibility). The Quick 6 controller is about $1300 total retail, with wiring.

Basically the 6R has almost the proper bolt pattern, it is very close, but the starter is located off a bit, thus a spacer is required just to provide threaded holes for the normal SBF starter. The gear range is lower, the same at high gear, so it'd need the smallest gear possible in the diff. 2WD could go to 2.74:1 or whatever is possible in the 8.8's. For a front drive, the D35, I gather 3.08 is the smallest gear available. I did math with that one, 70mph would be near 2000rpm, which is stock in my Mark VII's. A 4.17 1st gear with 3.08's would be interesting. The control features I didn't dig into much at all, OEM has paddle shifters and I read mention of a TV program planning to adapt the stock control features. I would hope to be able to manually control shifts at rare times, a down shift on highway, or manually force 2nd gear or hold it for some reason etc.

You should find a couple of the YouTube videos that show the bell housing holes and the SBF block, how they line up.

Back