How to tell if I have the tow package/Towing questions? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to tell if I have the tow package/Towing questions?

Reaction score
City, State
Northern Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 EB and 1990 Ranger XLT
Hi everyone,

did a search but couldn't find an exact answer. I have some questions regarding towing w the Explorer.

1. Did the 2000 Sport model have a specific "tow package"? I don't have a hitch but I do have the 4.10 gears, and 16 inch wheels, and it looks like an oil/trans cooler. I know in the early 90s Ford didn't put a hitch on the F series with the tow package and the dealer was clueless.

2. What is the rating for towing without a Class 3 hitch, the brochure i have (from 1998) says 4800, and the bumper says 3550 i believe? I don't plan on towing anything more than a 2800 gvw utility trailer so I was hoping i could just use the bumper.

3. Is there any plug in under the back along the frame to plus in trailer wiring into?

4. How hard is it to install a class 3 hitch? it looks like there isn't much room w the spare tire.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

1) Yes, it did. If my memory serves, it provided a frame-mounted receiver and the trailer wiring harness connector for trailer lights. However, ALL 2nd-gen Explorers are capable of towing, tow-package or not. How much they can tow depends on the body, engine, trans, diff ratio, and 2wd versus 4x4. All the exact numbers are in the owner's manual.

2) The bumper is rated for 3500 lbs gross, 350 lbs tongue weight. It tends to put most utility trailers a bit tongue-high, though, and that's never a good thing.

3) For lights, yes. Lay underneath the rear driver's side and look up behind the taillight. There will be a round connector (gray IIRC) with a cap on it (red IIRC) that will accept the OEM trailer connector and wiring harness. If my memory serves, it's about $35 from the dealer. The first time I needed it, the dealer didn't have one, so I used a standard 4-flat adapter and tapped into that harness inside the jack compartment and closed it in the rear window when in-use. Just another idea if you want to do it on the cheap.

4) 6 bolts. You'll need to make sure that the hitch you get is compatible with the 16" wheels your Ex uses. Not all of them are... They *may* interfere with the spare tire, but if you get the correct one, there's plenty of room. I had one for years, but sold it when I thought I was getting rid of my Ex.

-Joe

If you have an external transmission oil cooler on a Sport, I'd bet you have the towing package.

Ford is kind of iffy with trailer wiring. Sometimes you get it, sometimes you don't. My Explorer did not have trailer light wiring stock. The previous owner installed it. On the other hand, my four cylinder Ranger with a heavy payload package (but only a 2000 lb towing capacity, vs. the ~5000 lb towing capacity of my Ex) did have factory trailer light wiring. It should be visible. On my Ranger, a nylon nut held it to the bumper near the hole for a hitch ball. If you don't have it, Wal-Mart and most parts stores sell vehicle-specific wiring kits that take minutes to install.

I bought a Hidden Hitch round tube class III hitch for my Explorer. It took me less than 10 minutes to install by myself. I had no help at all. IIRC, I needed a 3/4" wrench, but I can't remember for sure.

wiring connector

3.) Advanced Auto has the trailer wiring connector for $15.94 pn 6253326. It plugs into the factory connector gijoe described.

Thanks for the replies, ill go out and look under there tomorrow and see if its there.

on the same subject, how do i know if i have a towing package on a 1996 xlt ohv? Also, do only vehicles equiped with the tow package include the factory trans cooler? if so where would it be located, because I would be able to figure things out that way. Thanks!

Can aux reverse lights be hooked up to the trailor lighting connector?

Depending on wattage of light but I would say no. Wiring harness inside truck is not ment to handle more than whats in the tail lights. I installed rock lights with one pointing just under the hitch. Works great when backing up and hooking a trailer up, ground is lite up all the way around the X.

my door has the code for the 3.55, but I think i have a tranny cooler. Hm:scratch:

The "tow package" was nothing but a wiring harness and certain gear ratios, from what I understand all Gen II's came with trans coolers from the factory. 3.55's aren't particularly well suited to towing, pay attention to your owners manual's stated capacity for your drivetrain combo.

Any tips on figuring out if my '91 has a tow package? Is it the same way? I know the earlier models didn't come stock from the dealer with them...I have no idea how to figure out the gear ratio on Shady. Does the VIN give any clues? I just know her sweet spot is about 2500 RPM in 5th at about 73mph. :p:

There should be a code for te gear ratio on the driver's door plate.

I know our 96 didn't come with the tow package so what I did is bought a trailer wiring kit from kmart and looked up my wiring color codes in the Haynes manual and spliced it into the tail lights and works good.

With or without the tow package, if your going to tow make sure you all address a few shortcomings of the explorer.

1) change out the transmission fluid with a high quality full synthetic mercon V, and change it often if you tow a lot
2) if you have automatic, add a large heavy duty tranny cooler, and a temp gauge. That temp gauge will save your butt on hot days.
3) check your gear ratios, if you have anything lower than the 3.73 your towing will be limited to a much lower GVW
4) if you have a manual and a gen 1 be sure to check your tranmission fluid level often. They were famous for leaking from a seal in the rear of the tranny. Fix the seal and keep it full of good quality full synthetic mercon V
5) Dont tow in OD (on auto) or 5th (manual) give your tranny a fighting chance :thumbsup:

if you properly maintain and monitor your vehicle it will last and be a great tow vehicle. However if you beat it up in adverse heavy use conditions it will not last long.

Oh and most important, give yourself more time to get to a destination and drive slower

Back