How to tell if it has a tow package | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to tell if it has a tow package

schadler

Reaction score
City, State
Allentown, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer '97 XLT V8 AWD
Hi,

We're looking at 04-05 Explorers, must be V8 with the 3.73 gears, preferable Eddy Bauer. Problem is, dealers don't know a tow package from a tailpipe, and we've been running to dealers that say they have a tow package only to find it is the standard 1.25 hitch. We need the 2", class 3 hitch with the V8 and 3.73 gears.

Is there any way to tell from the VIN whether it has the "real" tow package?? SUre would save me a lot of legwork. Only other options are to drive everywhere or demand they measure the hitch with a tape measure while I wait on the phone.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi,

We're looking at 04-05 Explorers, must be V8 with the 3.73 gears, preferable Eddy Bauer. Problem is, dealers don't know a tow package from a tailpipe, and we've been running to dealers that say they have a tow package only to find it is the standard 1.25 hitch. We need the 2", class 3 hitch with the V8 and 3.73 gears.

Is there any way to tell from the VIN whether it has the "real" tow package?? SUre would save me a lot of legwork. Only other options are to drive everywhere or demand they measure the hitch with a tape measure while I wait on the phone.

if the explorer you are looking at has the 2in receiver then there is a good chance it has the towing package. On the hitch itself there is a 7 pin adapter for lights and breaks and such for the trailer. It will have this if the truck came with the towing package. For instance i have the 2 in receiver on mine, but i am missing the lights hookup that is round and fits in the hitch. So there is an empty circle in my hitch, where the tow package light hookup would go. So you can tell the 2 in reciever was added after the fact. Hope this helps.

On the seconds gens a "trailer prep package" just meant it had an outside light hookup that was prewired for trailer lights. Whynot just add an aftermarket hitch to whatever one you like, or bend the dealer into installing a factory hitch?

Heavy duty tow on the gen3s came with the 2inch reciever, 3.73LS and 7pin plug.

the axle code will state what gears the vehicle has. 3.73's means it has the factory tow package. it's found on the vin sticker on the door jam, unfortuantly that's really the only way to know for sure, since the factory harness and hitch can be added, and look factory. My truck has 46 which means 3.73 and factory tow package.

here are axle codes
43 Open 3.08
41 Open 3.27
42 Open 4.10
46 Open 3.73
45 Open 3.55
D4 Limited Slip 3.73
D2 Limited Slip 4.10
L73 Limited Slip 3.73

mine is the D4. what is the difference between D4 and L73?

mine is the D4. what is the difference between D4 and L73?

Nothing most likely, I've never seen a L73 axle code. The explorers have always had a 31 spline 8.8 rear axle. Every 3.73 limited slip explorer I've ever seen is the D4 code.

I have the D4 on mine, with the 2" receiver, and 7-pin plug. I thought I read something about the 3.73 gear ratio being able to pull a little over 4000lb load. Is that correct? Would I be able to pull a double axle camper trailer, 21ft in length?

I have the D4 on mine, with the 2" receiver, and 7-pin plug. I thought I read something about the 3.73 gear ratio being able to pull a little over 4000lb load. Is that correct? Would I be able to pull a double axle camper trailer, 21ft in length?

I have a 02 explorer V8 4.6L 2x4 with the 2" receiver and 3.73 gears. I pull a 22 foot boat approximatly 5,000Ibs, no problem.

http://www.trailerlife.com/downloads/02towingguide.pdf

Max towing capacity,

V-6 4x2: 5780
V-6 4x4: 5380
V-6 AWD: 5380
V-8 4x2: 7140
V-8 4x4: 7000
V-8 AWD: 7000

Hi guys. I am new here, but have been searching the net for some answers on my explorer. I know this is a old thread but its the best info i have found so far.

I have looked at the code on my door jam label and it is axle code= 46. I have also looked through the front of my grill and there is a small radiator mostly mounted on the passenger side behind the grill. But i have no "reese hitch package" under the bumper. (2" square tubing). i have the ball in the bumper. Well, this won't be a problem as all i want to pull right now is a small boat. I think the bumper should be fine.

I just need to know where to look for the factory wire to put the 4-wire plug into. And if i am figuring what i have right????

Thanks for any help.
Eric

Welcome to the site :) The small radiator you see is probably actually the cooler for the power steering. The transmission coolers are more of a square, the power steering coolers are rectangular. The tow package did not include a receiver style hitch. Tow package= Transmission cooler, limited slip axle, bumper with hole, and a factory plug under the truck below where the tail lights are.

is there a plug under each taillight or just one side? And i guess since my axle code is the 46 i don't have limited slip so mine is not tow package? Thanks

and maybe u can tell me.. if it is not the tow package. where can i find the wiring for the 4 wire plug at. everywhere i look it is for a tow package and i really don't want to splice into the factory wiring unless i have to.

just a quick question is this a '99? that changes a lot as is was different than these 3rd Gens (02-05'). But with a 46 Open 3.73 that should be a tow package. . . .not sure on the '99s. Might want to check out the towing section, you might find a better answer.

Eric123, before getting my '03 I had a '94 w/o tow package and on the drivers side in the rear area there was an access door (I believe the jack was also stored there) with a wiring harness with a plug that I had a T connector plugged into for the trailer wiring. I got the connector from etrailer.com and also have seen them at JC Whitney

yes it is a 99, sorry i guess i replied to the wrong section. Anyways i was wanting some ideas what to look for when i crawl under it. Thanks

da2962, I guess I owe you a steak dinner!

I haven't (yet!) found everything I need to be a good, safe tow-er, but thanks to this thread I now know I've got a limited-slip 3.73 back-end, and where (and how!) to wire up!

I've read alot about the "wiring harness tap-in beneath the bumper", but when I crawled underneath to check things out, there was this funky looking round plug that wasn't anywhere NEAR the same size as the one on my father's fifth-wheel - and it darn sure wasn't the same "flat four-pinner" as the old pop-up trailer we had in the 70's!

I followed your advice, went and checked where the jack was, and lo and behold!! A foot-long pig-tail, "funky plug" on one end, four-wire flat on the other!

You just took about $150 off that class 3 hitch I was looking at.....

('course, if I want one o' them thar fancy EE-lek-tricky-tall brakes, that's gonna take some werk...)

Lee

Glad I could help. I like my steak medium rare :)

hi guys.. i looked at the lines running from the small radiator behind the grill. they are tied into the ones that run to the drivers side of the big radiator. Does this sound like a transmission cooler? I traced the lines from the radiator down then under it to the small one up front then from there towards the back of the vehicle where the tranny is, but i didn't climb under it to see if it actually made it to the transmission. it is raining here and didn't stay out long in the rain.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had a 99 and added the wiring for a trailer by goint to Autozone and buying the appropriate harness for my Ex. Then if you remove the left rear tail light you will find a round plug stuck in there somewhere that the harness will plug into. Run the wires down to the reciever and away you go!!! There is a round plug behind the right tail light too, that is not the right one.

Back