• Register Today It's free!

How to tell if Tranny's dying...

Dylansav

Reaction score
City, State
Twin Cities,Minnesota
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 XLT
I have a 98' Exp 4.0 SOHC and I think I have a few problems with my tranny and the diffs.

I just gotta say that I'm scared of all transmissions and when something goes wrong i panic. But here it goes..

I've noticed a few things when I'm shifting. When I'm in park and I shift from to Drive or Reverse, there is about a second delay before it engages. Sometimes i'm in a hurry and I give it too much gas and the engine revs and jolts forward or rev pretty hard. Is this normal?

My other question is..how hard is it to service the pinion seal on the rear differential? It's leaking and I'm almost certain that i've lost 4WD low. I also hear a loud clunking when i engage 4 High.

Last thing..How often should the tranny be serviced and flushed? I just bought this truck back in March and I've been doing alot of maintenance on it and it feels like nothing's been replaced in awhile so I doubt the tranny has been looked at in the last few years.

I really appreciate any help or advice

Thanks again

My 97 is doing the same thing with the second or 2 delay when shiftin from park to driver or reverse, just hoping it holds up.

Back