• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

How to tell the difference between a 1993 and 1994 4.0L engine.

pjksr1955

Reaction score
City, State
Williamstown, New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
1990 Bronco 11
I bought a 4.0 engine with the wiring harness. The person told me it was from a 1993 explorer. Someone else told me that it was a 1994 because it has two o2 sensors in the y pipe. How can you tell the difference. I need to know because I want to put this engine into a Bronco II which I will need help with....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

YBCold

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Las Vegas NV
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 ×∟┬
in not sure. i dont see why it would have two o2 sensors in the Y. i think they have the same engine anyhow 4LV6 pushrod but there are minor differences.

snoranger

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Jackson, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 limited on 35's
Both '93 and '94 had two O2 sensors.
I think that 94 was the first year of the cam position sensor.

Turdle

Lowrider
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Humboldt, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Mounty
Yes, 93 is a confusing year of 3 possible combinations.

My 93 has 2 O2 sensors before the y pipe

94 has egr. Most 93 do not. The wiring to a cam sensor is also a good sign it is a 94. My 93 has no cam sensor wiring.

93 CA may have Egr and cam sensor wiring, so beware.

410Fortune

ICE Season
Staff member
Reaction score
City, State
NORTH IDAHO, 7B
Year, Model & Trim Level
B2 "Slightly" Modified
Callsign
FOURTEN
only 91-92 have a single 02 sensor

93 does not have EGR or the cam sensor on the back of the lower intake, as Jon stated.

Only CA 93's had EGR and a cam sensor

It doesnt really matter, you can install a 93 block and heads into a 94 truck or vise versa

pjksr1955

Reaction score
City, State
Williamstown, New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
1990 Bronco 11
only 91-92 have a single 02 sensor

93 does not have EGR or the cam sensor on the back of the lower intake, as Jon stated.

Only CA 93's had EGR and a cam sensor

It doesnt really matter, you can install a 93 block and heads into a 94 truck or vise versa

I have a 1990 Bronco II and I have already installed the 4.0 engine and transmission. I am having concerns about the wiring. Can anybody help me with this. I am not sure if I have a 1993 or a 1994 engine. Not sure if it even matters what year it is. I COULD SURE USE SOME HELP........thank you

Vargas

Reaction score
City, State
Seattle, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 EB & two '00 XLT
I have both a '93 XLT and a '94 EB. One oddity I have noticed is that the serpentine belt tensioner is positioned differently and pivots in the opposite direction. I was not aware of the added CPS on the '94, but its existence may be the reason the tensioner design was altered.

BrooklynBay

Moderator & long time member.
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars