How to tell the difference between a 1993 and 1994 4.0L engine. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to tell the difference between a 1993 and 1994 4.0L engine.

pjksr1955

Reaction score
City, State
Williamstown, New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
1990 Bronco 11
I bought a 4.0 engine with the wiring harness. The person told me it was from a 1993 explorer. Someone else told me that it was a 1994 because it has two o2 sensors in the y pipe. How can you tell the difference. I need to know because I want to put this engine into a Bronco II which I will need help with....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

in not sure. i dont see why it would have two o2 sensors in the Y. i think they have the same engine anyhow 4LV6 pushrod but there are minor differences.

Both '93 and '94 had two O2 sensors.
I think that 94 was the first year of the cam position sensor.

Yes, 93 is a confusing year of 3 possible combinations.

My 93 has 2 O2 sensors before the y pipe

94 has egr. Most 93 do not. The wiring to a cam sensor is also a good sign it is a 94. My 93 has no cam sensor wiring.

93 CA may have Egr and cam sensor wiring, so beware.

only 91-92 have a single 02 sensor

93 does not have EGR or the cam sensor on the back of the lower intake, as Jon stated.

Only CA 93's had EGR and a cam sensor

It doesnt really matter, you can install a 93 block and heads into a 94 truck or vise versa

only 91-92 have a single 02 sensor

93 does not have EGR or the cam sensor on the back of the lower intake, as Jon stated.

Only CA 93's had EGR and a cam sensor

It doesnt really matter, you can install a 93 block and heads into a 94 truck or vise versa

I have a 1990 Bronco II and I have already installed the 4.0 engine and transmission. I am having concerns about the wiring. Can anybody help me with this. I am not sure if I have a 1993 or a 1994 engine. Not sure if it even matters what year it is. I COULD SURE USE SOME HELP........thank you

I have both a '93 XLT and a '94 EB. One oddity I have noticed is that the serpentine belt tensioner is positioned differently and pivots in the opposite direction. I was not aware of the added CPS on the '94, but its existence may be the reason the tensioner design was altered.

Back