How to test power window switch

kbsmith_48

Reaction score
City, State
Grapevine,KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Explorer Sport 4x4
how would i go about testing the power window switch on the exploder

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You have to take the door apart anyway so I would put a meter between one of the window motor wires and ground then hit the button. You should see approx 12 volts on either of them ( depending on the direction selected) while the switch is depressed. Most likely your motor is bad or there is a blown fuse.

what it is i rolled the window down the other day and now it wont roll back up is there a separate fuse that controls the passenger side or are they both together

The simplest way to see if the the switch is bad is to look at the dash voltmeter while
you momentarily press the window switch. If the voltmeter dips a bit, the switch is
good. Which means the bushings inside the motor are rotted, or the motor is bad.
The bushings are $5, and easy to replace. A new Dorman brand motor is $15 on Ebay.
Also easy to replace. A lot of writeups on this forum on how to replace either.

btw, there is only one common fuse for all 4 window motors. So if any window goes
up or down, the fuse is good.

Fixed thanks

tryed to force the window up and then unhook it to try and bypass the switch figured it might be bad wouldnt work we plugged it back up and my dad hit the door a couple times the window went straight up now it work as good as ever and i dont thinks its the bushings cause all of yall had problems with it inching down or going down or up very slow the window is still really fast my mother always used the air conditioner rather than the windows so as for now it is working
thanks for all your suggestions :thumbsup:

Back