How to time Sport Trac V6? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to time Sport Trac V6?

1jonboy

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 ford explorer sport
can anyone tell me how to time a 2007 ford 4.0 v6 explorer sports trac engine it would be great appreciated or
email it to me joncolletti48@yahoo.com

Front and rear timing for v6 4.0 Ford explorer there's 3 timing chains I want to get it timed before I take the heads off so I can mark it .it will help me when I install the rebuilt heads I am not familiar with this 4.0 Ford engine not at all thanks for your time really thank who helps me in the future I hope I can return the favor sincerely Jon COLLETTI. joncolletti48@yahoo. com

camshaft timing

I sent you a copy of engine assembly instructions that illustrates how to time the camshafts using the OTC 6488 timing tool kit. It is also possible but less convenient and accurate to time the camshafts without using the tool kit. Review related threads listed in My Helpful Threads by clicking on the link in my signature. One shows how to mark the front sprockets before removing the retaining bolts. However, if you are replacing the heads marking the old sprockets won't help. You'll have to time the camshafts from scratch. I suggest that you read thru the timing related threads until you thoroughly understand the process. Before removing the heads position the crankshaft with piston 1 at TDC on the compression stroke. Do not rotate the crankshaft again until the heads are installed. Will the rebuilt heads include the camshafts or will you reuse your original camshafts? Either way, the camshafts should be positioned correctly before installing the heads if the camshaft followers are not removed. A special tool (expensive) is required to compress the valve springs in order to remove and install the camshaft followers. Does your engine have a balance shaft?
Timing1.jpg

If so, do not remove the sprocket on the balance shaft or loosen the balance shaft sprocket retaining bolt at A in the above drawing.

Back