• Register Today It's free!

How to tow a disabled 2WD??

XLT2NV

Reaction score
City, State
Dammash, OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93XLT
First, I tried search for an hour, and cannot seem to find what I need.

'93 Explorer 2WD with leaking transmission pump . . .
Wife stranded 400 miles away with two kids . . .
It's Saturday night, but managed to get ahold of a tow dolly (couldn't find a full car trailer anywhere).

Need to make an emergency tow to get vehicle back home. Questions:
1. Tow Dolly with rear wheels on dolly:
Can I get away with simply backing the Explorer onto the dolly, towing with front wheels down? I know I have to put it in park, and emergency brake, and tie the steering wheel.
2. Tow Dolly with front wheels on dolly:
Never had to disconnect a drive shaft before, but e-x-a-c-t-l-y what tools will I need to do so? It is about 100 miles from the nearest real town, and it will be Sunday (most places closed) by the time I get there. I know front wheels on dolly is the best way, but can anyone help with what I need to do to disconnect (hang) the driveshaft?

Thank you v-e-r-y much

Trying to save my stranded wife, kids, and marriage!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hmmm... i think the first way seems fine... you just need to leave the key in the ignition and leave the car on so the wheel doesnt look one way or hte otehr....

second way sounds fine as well.... gust remove the ujoins at both ends from the driveshaft and just tow it.....

I am speaking as a man with a wife and 2 kids as well. I say, ditch the Explorer and get a rental for them NOW and get them h-o-m-e. Worry about the truck later. :rolleyes:

Teh pump seal might have sealed up enough so it is driveable with more fluid in there. Trust me, ive been there...three times in three X's....

they are actually stranded 100 miles from a real town? are they just on the side of the road somewhere? i say screw the truck, jump in your car and go get them....

Back