• Register Today It's free!

How to Tow My ST

kleen

Reaction score
City, State
Saint-Hubert
Year, Model & Trim Level
Sport Trac 03 4wd XLT
hi guy, just bought a Motorized Home 1998 Winnebago Adventurer and i want to tow my st to go offroading . But i read on Remco towing Product that i need some kit that is only install by ford delear to tow it 4 wheel down

Vehicle is Towable with Ford Neutral Towing Kit. Part # 3L2J-7H332-AA. Source: Ford Trailer and Towing Guide

My Question : Could it be install by me , is it still available ?

Also is towing the ST with a tow dolly is a option ?

Thanks

Sport Trac 2003 4x4 Xlt 4,10 gear ratio

hey First Post ! finally

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes you can tow it with a tow dolly, tow it with the back wheels on the dolly.

You don't have to have that tow bar installled by the dealer, most competant trailer shop's can do it.

so the Neutral tow kit is only a tow bar !
nice

and with the dolly i leave it in Neutral position and tow as is .

thank you rebel

No, on the tow dolly you put it on backwards with the back tires on the dolly and put it in park. The front tires roll on the ground freely.

Really? What keeps the front wheels from turning and causing a disaster?

And I thought you had to have the neutral tow kit for the 4x4 ST, maybe even 4x2. I know the Colorado/Canyon are able to be towed 4 down, but I really didn't think the ST was.:dunno:

You'll need a set of tow lights to place on the hood of the ST for brakelights and turn signals. You could get away with the lights from the tow dolly but I like to have more lights for safety. When you tow backwards you lock the steering wheel to where the front wheels are straight. I used to Repo, accident chase and tow illegally parked cars for a living and never had any issues with towing a 4wd backwards with the front tires on the ground. Some people that tow behind RV's will disconnect or even remove the driveshaft but you don't really need to do that with our trucks (electronic shift for 4wd) means no accidentally hitting a bump and the transfercase bumps out of N or 2wd.

The neutral tow kit (Flat tow) is discontinued. Supposedly it was to be re-instated. I'm PM-ing the contact info for someone who can help you with this..

The "kit" is nothing more than a light and some decals and PROGRAMMING that the dealership HAS to do. 01-02 automatics can't be flat towed, 03-05 can.

thanks

i'l try get more info with your contact . But like the idea of the tow dolly since i keep changing car or truck , everytime the ashtray is full ;) .

btw a 3500 lbs cap. tow dolly with elec brake is enough ?

I think another company was producing the tow kit. It only puts the transfer case in Neutral, you would leave the tranny in Park, so it would not work on a 4x2.

STtowinneutral.jpg

Towing with the rear wheels on a tow dolly is bad because of the caster setting on the front end. It will not want to track straight.
Somewhere I saw a quick-disconnect driveshaft though, if it works as advertised it would be pretty slick.
Here and there race car shops have produced free-wheeling tow hubs. Unbolt the rear wheels, bolt on the hubs, and bolt the wheels onto the hubs.

Try MySportTrac.com too, this has been talked about over there.

There is a local (Des Moines, IA) shop that builds detachable, quick disconnect driveshafts. I imagine this is a service you can get in many places. These guys take yours, modify it, you pick it up the next day.

Back