• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

How To: Transfer Case Fluid Change (Photo thread)

ExplorerDMB

Moderator/Technician
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Mechanicsville, Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Acura TL
I decided to change my transfer case fluid since I just went over 77K recently. I don't really know the intervals - but you should check it once you get around 60K. The fluid is just normal Dexron Mercon III ATF- so if you know what burnt transmission fluid looks like and smells like - you know what to look for in your tcase if it needs to be changed. My transfercase is the 4405 Borg-Warner T-case.

The service itself is quiet easy: all you need is a 3/8s raceht, a funnel or pump, drain bucket, and your choice of fluid (3 pints or about 2 quarts worth). :thumbsup:

I did this at my house instead of the shop, so I was limited to a funnel which is kind of tricky to use on a transfercase. Anyhow, first you need to find the drain and fill plugs. I recommend removing the fill plug first to allow air to get into the t-case which will allow the fluid to run out of the drain smoother instead of in "gulps" (people who have done this before know what I mean). Anyhow here's a picture for help:

Drain and Fill Plugs:

000_0706.JPG

Undoing the Fill/Check Plug:

000_0707.JPG

Once you have taken the fill plug out, go ahead and set that aside and get going on the drain plug. Both plugs should be pretty tight (mine had thread sealer on them previously), but putting the plugs back should only be snugged like a oil drain plug. When you are ready to pull the drain plug on the t-case, thread it out with your fingers and set your drain pan underneath it. This should catch all the fluid and you should just let it drip out.

Undoing the drain plug:

000_0708.JPG

Fluid Running Out:

000_0709.JPG

Once it is emptied as good as it's going to get, put the drain plug back in. I like to clean up the area with brake clean, so if for some reason I get a leak, I can pinpoint it easier. Now, time to fill 'er up:

How My Funnel Was:

000_0711.JPG

It worked out quiet well with my driveshaft there. Anyhow, gently fill it up and fill it like a differential - until it starts to flow out of the fill hole. Once it gets the big gushes out and its just lightly letting out - go ahead and put the plug back. Make sure you tighten it:

000_0707.JPG

That's it! You're done. I put Royal Purple synthetic ATF fluid in my transfer case. I am running royal purple in my differentials and t-case now. I am still in search for a Mercon V fully-synthetic fluid (I believe just Amsoil has it right now). Picture of the bottles are below. Hope this was easy enough for you - was pretty easy to me! :thumbsup: Good luck

-Drew

000_0712.JPG

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Glacier991

EF Tranny Guru
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Sacramento, CA 95827
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XLT
Another excellent thread Drew. Thanks.

'97 V8

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
ft. knox ky
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 mounty 5.0 4x4 baby!!
looks easy. i need to change the t-case oil too.

SkanlaxJMO

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Syracuse, New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT
look's "easy" with my luck the drain plug and the fill plug will be frozen on...lol

'97 V8

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
ft. knox ky
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 mounty 5.0 4x4 baby!!
haha, true true. you know how it is.

pgdsm

Reaction score
City, State
Vancouver, B.C.
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 awd limited
[QUOTE='97 V8]looks easy. i need to change the t-case oil too.[/QUOTE]

why dont we get to gether and both do this??

wmorrisw

Reaction score
City, State
SCHAUMBURG, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 EXPLORER SPORT
my transfer case is leaking

my transfer case is leaking. Can the tranfer case cover be removed on the car?
I have 98 4x4 Explorer 4.1 sohc.

ExplorerDMB

Moderator/Technician
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Mechanicsville, Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Acura TL
if transfer case service is needed - I would recommend removing the whole transfer case and working on it on a bench

-Drew

wmorrisw

Reaction score
City, State
SCHAUMBURG, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 EXPLORER SPORT
The cover just seems to be leaking a little. Can it come off without removing the whole thing?

ExplorerDMB

Moderator/Technician
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Mechanicsville, Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Acura TL
It's like 6 bolts holding the transfercase to the trans. The cover has like 12-15 bolts. I think it might be hard to remove the cover still attatched to the trans due to room.

-Drew

Glacier991

EF Tranny Guru
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Sacramento, CA 95827
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XLT
As a part of the 4405 Rebuild Diary,(a shameless plug for you to go read it,) I did find that Mobil 1 now is openly claiming Merc V compatability on the bottle.

tktrain

Reaction score
City, State
Evansville, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 XLT 5.0
I switched over to Mobil 1 ATF in my X about 3 months ago. It is indeed Mercon V rated.

sport01mi

Reaction score
City, State
Woodhaven, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 Sport
Sounds like you just saved me 20 dollars. :) Thank-you!

X-North

Reaction score
City, State
Montreal
frozen plug...thats why you need some lube and a straight bar :p if you dont have it then a ratchet and a piece of 2 feet long pipe would do the job ;)

g8r

Reaction score
City, State
Burlington, Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
Okay stupid question.......is just jacking up the front end good enough?

X-North

Reaction score
City, State
Montreal
Okay stupid question.......is just jacking up the front end good enough?

Yes ...even not jacked you can do the oil change ...but if its stuck there you gonna says some bad words heheheh

X-North

Reaction score
City, State
Montreal
Thank you for it mister but I have a kind of damper in front of my drain hole....do you have any idea how to revome that damper ??? BTW the sell pump at wal mart for around 20 bucks now...you can use it both on air and liquid...i have found it on the wall near oil racks and sports center...so somewhere between the car oil and the ATV oil :p

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

IZwack

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Germantown, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer
I think for you, living in Alaska, it would be worthwhile to go with synthetics because synthetics are affected less by temperature than conventional oil.