How to wire up a lock/unlock switch in back like a 2000 X | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to wire up a lock/unlock switch in back like a 2000 X

bnichols04

Reaction score
City, State
ypsilanti, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 ranger XLT
I have a 93 explorer and I want to have a lock/unlock switch in the back of the truck like the 2000 explorers have. :bounce: How would I wire one? I allready have the switch for it. Do I just tap the wires in from the front doors and run the wires back?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yea, there should be three wires on your front drivers door switch (lock/ground/unlock), just tap into the lock and unlock wires and run them to the rear switch you have. Run a ground from your switch to some nearby metal, just make sure you scrape a little paint away to get a good contact. I'm not sure how you would run the wires back on a 1st gen, but that shouldnt be hard to figure out.

You can also get access to the wires from the drivers kick panel..

I tapped in from the passanger side and there are 5 wires there. I ran them all back to the switch and pluged them into the switch and the doors are barely working. What did I do wrong? Are the wires too long? I even marked where each wire goes when I tapped into them.

Tap off the pink/yellow & pink/lite green wires in the drivers kick panel. I believe the pink/yellow is the power door lock, try probing those wires with a test light.. which ever wire locks the door is the power door lock wire.

can't I just tap into the wires into the passenger side and run all 5 wires back. I think that the wires are too long and the current is being lost through the length of wires. How does it work on a 2000? Is the way I explained w/ the way I was doing it or am I doing it the wrong way? Do I need to ground the switch???

Back