• Register Today It's free!

How would you try to fix this

hardpike

Reaction score
City, State
Chicago
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 XLT
I was changing out the doors on my 91. I noticed that the rockers are even rusted wourse the I had thought. They basicly fell off. the back sheetmetal that the rockers are welded too aswell. there is nothing there. I have pics but cant figure out how to post them. is it best to try to make a "L" braket and rivit it to the body then attached the new rockers on to that? any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would take it to an autobody professional and get an opinion and if you are not interested in junking it then make sure they know right away that junking it isn't an option that you want a professional opinion of how to get the body work done. There are many out there that don't love explorers the way we do and think because they're rusted that they need junked, don't let it happen! :)

I found that last night. Its a great source of information. Got me thinking. Does anybody make a replacement rocker back plate. I designed one last night and sent it to a local fab shop to make for me. That might be something others can use too

On the 4 doors, you can just hack off the entire rocker panel below the doors since there's nothing there, and no part of the rocker leads to the interior. You can make your own dog leg behind the rear door if that's gone too.

They do of course make replacement rocker panels and dog legs for the 4 doors if you wanted the factory appearance, though.

You can get all of the parts you need from LMC,that's what I used and the fit was good.:D

You would have to make your own back plate. But the hardest parts to make are still available. Like mentioned check out LMC.

Back