• Register Today It's free!

Howling noise coming from rear

JBlaze

Reaction score
City, State
Crescent, Ga
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLT
I just spent many hours replacing my drivers side rear wheel bearing thinking that was the culprit and the howling noise is unchanged even though the sound seems to be coming from that side. I would hate to go through the trouble of replacing the passenger side wheel bearing and this damn noise remains? I bought the bearing, went through many trips to the autozone to get the right tools, etc and then had to get the bearing pressed on the hub at napa to the tune of $40.

Here are some symptoms that might help in diagnosing the problem. When I turn right the noise stops. Driving straight or left turns the noise remains. I also hear the noise at all speeds. Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

An additional note: the howling noise sounds like I have super swamper mud tires.

i DID the same thing. swore it was my front left wheel bearing humming. Turned out to be the left rear.

What I did and dont recommend is jack up the whole vehicle / get all 4 tires off the ground and run it and have a buddy listen to what wheel is the loudest. Kinda scary going 40mph in my garage. I had one foot on the gas and the other on the brake .

good luck

Definitely sounds like wheel bearing issue to me, not the diff if noise changes with steering input.

I have the same noise by the description. I just had both rear bearings replaced and the noise is still there (I did not replace the bearings because of the noise but hoped it would take care of it). I still have the noise and no idea what it is. Good luck.

Back