• Register Today It's free!

HP and altitude

rumney510

Reaction score
City, State
Denver, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT V8
Hi does anyone know what happens to your HP at higher altitudes, 5000 ft and 10000 ft ?

also what is the high altitude package and does it affect the superchip?

thanks all
andy
2000 XLT

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I barely should be replying, don't know the explorer specifics to give you a great answer and I won't touch the second half.
Are you looking for specific curves of HP versus altitude or general info?

I can't give an exact answer either, but as you go up in altitude, you will definitely lose horspower. There is less oxygen in the air, and that is less for the motor to burn.

I believe the high altitude package is primarily a computer (and maybe fuel injector) package that recalibrates your computer for a leaner burn due to the lack of oxygen. I would suspect that the superchip and high altitude packages would not go together really well, but you would be better off asking the Chip manufacturer that question.

yeah, the engine really bogs in higher elevations. I went on a snow trip last week and my check engine light kept coming on intermittently. and when I would gun it it would barely move.

Originally posted by rumney510
Hi does anyone know what happens to your HP at higher altitudes, 5000 ft and 10000 ft ?

also what is the high altitude package and does it affect the superchip?

thanks all
andy
2000 XLT

Every 1000 feet in elevation you go up above sea-level you loose 3%. So assuming your engine is the 210 HP SOHC, you would have 180.3 HP at 5,000 feet and 154.9 HP at 10,000 Feet.

Back