hp dana 44 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

hp dana 44

stx ranger

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 ford ranger stx 4x4
I am fixing to do a sas in my 1993 ranger stx i have a 1979 hp dana 44 out of a f150 i narrowed it 6in have been reading on all the forms and i still have a few ? i was wornding if i run the jeff bronco graveryard radius arm drop bracket should i still run 7* bushing wit the 5.5 wildhorse coils and allso has anyone ever sent a axle shaft to moser to get it cut and resplined when i narrowed my axle 6in it now to short for the eb shaft :( and all so im regearing it 4.88 hopefully the 488 and a 4.ol will be able to turn 37x12.50x16.5 with steel wheels sorry for rambling but thanks for the help

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am fixing to do a sas in my 1993 ranger stx i have a 1979 hp dana 44 out of a f150 i narrowed it 6in have been reading on all the forms and i still have a few ? i was wornding if i run the jeff bronco graveryard radius arm drop bracket should i still run 7* bushing wit the 5.5 wildhorse coils and allso has anyone ever sent a axle shaft to moser to get it cut and resplined when i narrowed my axle 6in it now to short for the eb shaft :( and all so im regearing it 4.88 hopefully the 488 and a 4.ol will be able to turn 37x12.50x16.5 with steel wheels sorry for rambling but thanks for the help

I don't think i'd be happy with 37"s and 4.88's. I have 35"s and 5.13's and think it's a good ratio for a rig that's 99.9% trail. Also with 37"s I'd run an upgraded shaft (especially if you're gonna wheel it). Not sure about the bushings, I run 3.5" eb coils on mine and i THINK it's a 7* and it's perfect.

If you cut 6" off the pass. side then you should be able to use the EB shaft. The only reason I did not use the EB shaft was due to the smaller u joints so I sent mine to Moser and had them re spline it.

thanks for the info well when i cut 6in off i did not facter the 1 1/4 that went in side the cast c on the dana 44 i was going to order a shaft from jeff bronco graveryard with the 760x u jont that was 28 from end of spline to center of u joint cap and naw i need one 27 1/2 and the truck will be mostly dd

thanks for the info well when i cut 6in off i did not facter the 1 1/4 that went in side the cast c on the dana 44 i was going to order a shaft from jeff bronco graveryard with the 760x u jont that was 28 from end of spline to center of u joint cap and naw i need one 27 1/2 and the truck will be mostly dd

Ya, that's an easy thing to do. I've used Moser for several different race cars to my Trail rig and highly recommend them.
In fact they will be the ones making my D70 rear shafts.

thanks for the help i will give them a shot . i would like to tell u guys my plans see what yall though are on it a 93 ford ranger longbed my plans are narrowed hp 44 5.5 in coils 37x12.50x16.5 goodyears like thay run on the military h1 not shoure on gears thanking 5.13 what yall thank it will mostly be a dd will see a little mud from time to time . thanks guys

I did the same swap less shortening the Dana 44 length. I found that the EB 5.5" coils are WAY soft. Scary soft. I went coil overs after 100 miles. I did use the 7 deg bushings but I am running more that 5" of lift.
Just my 2 cents

Back