• Register Today It's free!

Hub/ABS Sensor/Speed Sensor

ShawnTRD

Reaction score
City, State
Spener, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Explorer Limited
OK I have to do the right side HUB. What Hub should I get? Ford, Advance Auto, Autozone, Napa?

Do I need the Speed or ABS Sensors also?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A strategy I used to reduce cost was to take a printout of the cheapest deal on Timken hub assemblies (Amazon) to Autozone and they matched price.
That's for a '96. Not sure if Timken makes yours.

Pretty much all the hub I've seen had sensors.....

yea hubs all come with sensors attached and all are basically same except ford is longer lasting

On my '96, the stock, longer lasting hubs were Timken. Autozone sells Timken for mucho less thank Ford. I tried the Amazon route for your 2005 and they do not stock, bu there are myriad other sources for the Timken assemblies. Get the lowest price and take it to Autozone and get the best...Timken.

There is a twist.

Ok well I got a Hub from Advanced Auto. And it saved us about $450 doing the job my self tonight. But there is a twist. The dealer said both Hubs are bad. But we had the left Hub replaced by another dealer in September when it went on us during our Honeymoon. So the manager said they will replace the left on under Fords one year parts and labor warranty. So I told them do that and I'll change the right side. So our receipt says "replaced left side hub under Fords one year parts and labor warranty". So when I didn't the right side I changed the pads, and then when I was done I went over to the left side to do the pads over there and seen this. That nut look like it was taken off today? Looks like a dealer trying to getting paid for parts and labor they didn't do. What should I do?

Leltside.jpg

Doesn't look to me like it was replaced. I would hoof it back up there and ask to speak to the Service Manager, and Dealership Manager at the same time, in the same room and bring it up. Be prepared to have the truck torn apart shortly after... :)

on another note, that nut is only one time use per the FSM, when you go back take the plastic center piece off so you can see that nut and hub, both should be all nice and bright and shine. . . .from the looks of it that hub, just guessing, looks about 6 months old, you would see more corrosion on the spindle if it was older. What did it look like under the rotor?

had the left Hub replaced by another dealer in September when it went on us during our Honeymoon.

on another note, that nut is only one time use per the FSM, when you go back take the plastic center piece off so you can see that nut and hub, both should be all nice and bright and shine. . . .from the looks of it that hub, just guessing, looks about 6 months old, you would see more corrosion on the spindle if it was older. What did it look like under the rotor?

A dealer stating they did work when, in fact, they didn't?

Unfortunately this is all too common....

I'd be furious and not comfortable bringing my vehicle back to them for anything.

We are furious. I think I should go to shop to verify it, document it. Then contact the Ford Corp.

A dealer stating they did work when, in fact, they didn't?

Unfortunately this is all too common....

I'd be furious and not comfortable bringing my vehicle back to them for anything.

Pretty much all the hub I've seen had sensors.....
Careful there. Yes most do, but I have seen a few listed without them. And not nescesarily (spelled that horribly wrong) the cheap ones.

A strategy I used to reduce cost was to take a printout of the cheapest deal on Timken hub assemblies (Amazon) to Autozone and they matched price.
That's for a '96. Not sure if Timken makes yours.

Technically, their price match policy is only for local physical stores. Most of them won't match internet pricing. I have to make sure a 1 of a certain 2-3 managers are working, to get the price match. Another, who won't do it, told me not to tell him who is doing it for me, or he'll have them fired!
That one is always bitcing that they don't make any money when they price match for me. I find that hard to believe. Less? Sure. But not nothing. If another store can do it, I'm sure Autozone can squeak out a small profit. As I said to this guy, if you make a dollar off me, isn't it better than making nothing when I go somewhere else? It also kinda pisses me off, knowing that, in some case, they are trying to charge double, or more, then Rock.

The exposed threads on the end of the CV axle are the best indicator. If they are rusty, with no shiny at all, indicating they have had th nut unscrewed, then it probably hasn't. Not to mention, that hub does not look anything like brand new. If you looked at this immediately after they did it, it should have been clean/shiny.

As for reusing the nut, yeah, technically "they" say not to reuse it. Do you know how hard it is to find one seperately? (They usually, but not always, come w/ new/reman cv axles) Most people do reuse them, at least once or twice, including shops. My main concern would be with the threads. The exposed end of the cv axle gets pretty rusty, and "gnarly" after extended road use. The nut now has to travel over that on the way off. Sometimes this will destroy the threads, on both the nut, and the shaft. Of course, at that point, your doing a cv axle too. As long as the threads are ok, and the nut appears to maintain its "oblong" shape (so it will "crush"), then you should be fine.

Careful there. Yes most do, but I have seen a few listed without them. And not nescesarily (spelled that horribly wrong) the cheap ones.

I guess I'm missing something. What do I need to be careful about?

I've referred quite a few on here to this guy for the 3rd gen front hub assemblies...they are brand new Ford OEM parts. His email is: m-gilmore@hotmail.com (name is Michael Gilmore). He runs an ebay business and is a powerseller on there.

He is selling the complete hub assemblies for $115/ea + shipping....and is very dependable. I got both of mine from him, and a handful of others I sent to him from here have as well. You can't beat the price...it's much cheaper than even the aftermarket stuff you get from the parts stores. Stay OEM as much as you can, especially when it's cheaper...

P.S. Next time you have your vehicle serviced, request the old parts when the job is done. There is a law that affords you that ability and they have to comply. This normally takes care of any issues such as above... I just did it with my fuel pump, fuel filter and coolant temp sensor which were just all replaced from the Ford dealer.

I've referred quite a few on here to this guy for the 3rd gen front hub assemblies...they are brand new Ford OEM parts. His email is: m-gilmore@hotmail.com (name is Michael Gilmore). He runs an ebay business and is a powerseller on there.

He is selling the complete hub assemblies for $115/ea + shipping....and is very dependable. I got both of mine from him, and a handful of others I sent to him from here have as well. You can't beat the price...it's much cheaper than even the aftermarket stuff you get from the parts stores. Stay OEM as much as you can, especially when it's cheaper...

P.S. Next time you have your vehicle serviced, request the old parts when the job is done. There is a law that affords you that ability and they have to comply. This normally takes care of any issues such as above... I just did it with my fuel pump, fuel filter and coolant temp sensor which were just all replaced from the Ford dealer.

:thumbsup: Thanks.. I'll remember this next time.

Back