• Register Today It's free!

hub an tcase questions

bobbyt09

Reaction score
City, State
waldo fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 4.0 4x4 with 31s
i have those p.o.s auto locking hubs on my explorer im am lookin to convert over to manual locking hubs ...can i convert them to manual with out changing out me push button t-case...an im also lookin to convert my t case from auto to manual but can i convert my auto tcase to manual with out changing my hubs to manual

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The transfer case and hubs aren't conditional...

Meaning you can change the hubs to manual or the transfer case to a manual case..

But, if something is manual (hub or case, or both) you will have to manually engage that device to get 4x4...

For example.. If you put on manual hubs, and engage the transfer case into 4wd low range, you will actually be in 2wd low range until you engage the hubs...

~Mark

i have those p.o.s auto locking hubs on my explorer im am lookin to convert over to manual locking hubs ...can i convert them to manual with out changing out me push button t-case...an im also lookin to convert my t case from auto to manual but can i convert my auto tcase to manual with out changing my hubs to manual

As Maniak so well put it, you can change one without changing the other. Be aware that changing from auto to manual lockouts requires changing the bearing locknuts, as they are specific to the type of lockout. (If you attempt to run manual lockouts on auto locknuts, your wheel will fall off. Don't ask me how I know........) A quick search should point you in the right direction as to what you will need to do the conversion.

A manual t-case is also easy, but requires the cutting of a hole in your floor, something many are scared of. Other than the shifter location, it is a bolt in swap. (You will have to do a little wiring to make the 4x4 and Low Range lights come on, but that is optional) Again, many threads have been written about this swap as well, a search is in your best interest.

I have done both swaps to my truck, and have been nothing but pleased.

ok so when i buy the manual lockin hubs i need to buy the conversion kit also...an does anyone know where i can get a manual t case for my explorer 91 4 door 4x4 automatic 4.0

try your local salvage yards first, as shipping is expensive. Any manual shift 1354 will work. Don't let the salvage yard sell you a 1350, as they use a slip yoke front that is a lot less desirable.

ok guys thanks for all ur help

Back