• Register Today It's free!

Hub Help Please

M.D.M

Reaction score
City, State
RAVENNA,OHIO
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 EXPLORER SPORT
I have a 92 Explorer the automatic hub on the driver side started making noise,so i replaced them with the warn manual hubs.After about a month the vehicle developed a bad pull to the left and the plastic locking part on the warn hub was melted,also the one shim? under the snap ring in the hub was also cracked.I then got another set of hubs covered under warranty now i have the same problem again also on the drivers side,the passenger side has been fine both times.I wandered if anybody might have any ideas to what could be going on here.

Thanks M.D.M

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you are melting the hub, chances are you blew your wheel bearings because they are loose. The bearings are prone to failure on your front end (I have blown many myself). after installing the hub (be sure to replace and pack your bearings), drive for about 50 miles or so. Then loosen the bearing nut and re-torque both to specs. Check it again after another 100-200 miles. After doing this, I have gone about 6 months without ruining a bearing - and I drive my truck pretty hard...

J

I don't think the wheel bearings are bad because it didn't melt the plastic on the hubs this time.I did take the front axle out on the drivers side and the universal joint seems really bad.It barely moves one direction and doesn't budge the other way.I'm going to take the passenger side apart and see if that u-joint is free.I want to know if you think the the u-joint could be the problem.

Thanks M.D.M

Absolutely! If the u-joints aren't moving, all the stress of the axle ends up at the spindle and the hub. Get all 3 of the u-joints replaced. They cast about 10 bucks each. I had huge alignment problems until I replaced mine.

Jon

Thanks for replying back i changed the drivers side u-joint today and will replace the other ones tomorrow.

Again thanks alot M.D.M

Back